To my fellow witches... **Haters not welcome!**

As I have said many times I'm a huge fan of Lady Isadora... And my favorite song by her is "Witch."

The first line of that song is "Why do you call yourself a witch?" and listening to it this morning it got me to thinking. There are many people who do prefer to use words other than Witch because of all the negative connotations that come along with it.

SO... Why do you call yourself a witch, sisters?? Why not use another word or description??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• For me, it's a matter of pride. I am proud to be a witch!! I believe that only through use of the word can we truly begin to get out of a time when the word was such a bad thing... People need to know the truth - and if we don't say witch, when we mean witch they never will!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Funny thing it i do not call my self a witch. I just say i am pagan. The word witch does not seem to fit me. I have nothing aginst it. It just does not see to be me
    Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Christine - I am a Pagan, but when someone asks me what I am or what my religious beliefs are I always say I'm an Eclectic Pagan Witch or a Pagan Witch... It's very important for me to add the title Witch... But I know not all pagans are witches, if you aren't great! I love being a witch and am always so shocked when people try to hide the fact that they are a witch - when they are...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Well..I'm not Wiccan but my girlfriend is and she doesn't call herself a witch. Actually, I don't think she likes that term because of what most people think a witch is - something you'd see on Halloween.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Witch has so many negative connotations, which may be why so many people avoid claiming it as a title.

I'm proud to be a witch, and claim the title with pride.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 12:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Proud. Happy. At Peace. Whatever the negative connotations of the word "witch" I couldn't care less. I own it. I am it. And I'm not afraid of it.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Personally I dont use the term Witch not because of a stigma that is attached to it but mostly because I dont feel that I have yet reached the point where I have a right to call myself a witch. I am still learning and discovering things about myself and my path. To me anyone who is a Witch has a large amount of knowledge about witchcraft and to me knowledge is power. I know I will get there one day but I feel that calling myself a witch at this point would be wrong and inaccurate. I look forward to the day when I can proudly declare it and feel that I have the knowledge to back it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I call myself a Wiccan Witch. I am proud to be a wiccan witch. The reason I call myself a Wiccan witch instead of just a Wiccan is because I do practice the witchcraft side. I am still learning and unfortuately haven't been able to perform many rituals because we haven't had the money to get the basic tools. But that will be changing soon.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Well, I am a witch, but I am not strictly Wiccan, and I think they pretty much have claimed the title "Witch" for themselves. I am more eclectic Pagan, and I am proud to tell anyone who asks. Any time I say "Witch" people assume I am Wiccan.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I am not trying to hid it. I do magic and such but i just just call may self pagan. I feels rite to me. I have nothing aginst people calling them selfs witches really i don't to each there own. Pagan just seems rite to me.
    Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2010