Did anyone adopt a child that was over the age of 8? Was anyone adopted after that age? What kind of experience did you have?

There's so many stories about newborn adoptions so I was curious about couple's who take in older kids and if there were other kids like myself who got adopted as a young kid rather than as a newborn or toddler. I was raised by my bio-mom for the first 4 years of my life, according to court records my bio-dad attempted to get custody but the judge always ruled in favor of my mom. When I was 4 my mom basically got rid of me, I was passed around through grandparents and aunts and uncles for about a year before CPS took me and I spent 3 years in foster care before my mom signed over her rights and then like a miracle within about 3 months I was placed with amazing foster parents who almost immediately decided to adopt me - making me the oldest of 4 and now I have a total of 7 younger siblings. I love my family and couldn't imagine being raised by anyone else. I even reconnected with my bio-brother and bio-dad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Adoption

• My husband and I have just finished our parenting classes to adopt from the foster care system. We have our eye on a litle 9 year old boy that we are planning to adopt. I'm nervous about it but I've heard some truly amazing stories about adopting older children. I don't have any advice!! But I'd love to hear some feedback on this as well.
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• We have 5 young kids but, we want to adopt an older child from foster. The child would have to be mentally stable though, which is hard to find in Foster Care.
    Anonymous

• I want to adopt an older child (teen maybe) after my kids are older. I hate seeing older kids (age 7+) without forever families : (
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• my sister in law adopted her 3 kids when they where around that age, about 3 years ago. they are 11, 10, and 9, now. they do fine they call them mom and dad and go to school and tell every one in school that its they are there parents we even had a prob with it in school kuse my brother in law is Mexican and the oldest boy was told he was lying when he said he was half Mexican. though legally he is now. the only thing that seams to be a prob is some of the old habits left from there thing aka birth mother. the oldest steals some times thought they are trying vary hard to control it and the middle child lies a lot, and the baby acts just like that a baby. in cases like that there will be somethings left over from there former life's, its just time and pashons.
    Manda_Evans

Answer by Manda_Evans at 11:50 PM on May. 1, 2010

• My sister was adopted by our parents at the age of 13, she had cerebral palsey and was taken from a severly abusive home. Not only was she being abused but she was not receiving the proper care for her disability that she needed. My parents adopted her and immediately began rectifying that situation by gettting her into physical therapy and scheduling her first of countless surgeries right away. For my sister this was a god send! My parents provided for her a home that for 13 years she never had, the love she never knew and the care she so desperately needed. She said that it was like she was put into a whole different world, a happier one, she feels very lucky. She went on to get fabulous grades, graduated with a masters degree from UNC and now helps other disabled adults learn how to live on their own. We are all very proud of her and my parents are amazing people for giving her that. They adopted all 4 of us!
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 12:24 PM on May. 12, 2010