1 year old not talking much

he babbles but says na-na, ba ba and ma ma....he doesnt call me mama tho and barely says it altho i encourage it. he cant say anything else either....he does shake his head no when hes full or doesnt want his bottle....should i be worried? :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 14 months she is beginning to say the beginning sounds to some words...and I know what she's talking about..but thats cuz I'm around her 24-7,lol.
    She says JU~juice
    KEY~kitty
    da-E~ daddy
    ah-uh-ah ~ Joshua (big brother,lol)
    soo ~ shoe
    ba-E ~ baby

and she also nods her head yes and shakes her head no.
    She's learning and trying out new sounds everyday. Give it time, he will get there, all children are different! Some are pretty much silent and then one day they just start talking in full sentences,lol. As long as they understand what you are saying..like when you tell him what to do and stuff...try getting him to point to parts of his body..nose,eye,ear,mouth and things like that.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• my son is going to be a yr in a month & he really doesnt say much of anything. he babbles, he imitates. every once in a blue he says mamamama or dadada and i think he might mean mama or dada but im not sure
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't think you need to be worried... my dd said mama, dada, and ball from a year until 19 mos... she babbled and such but I could only understand those three words (ball was "baba"). He will be talking soon enough! Dd said 40 words the first week she turned 19mos and now at 2.5 she says everything! lol Just keep talking and he will get it! I agree with pp's advice and start having him point out body parts! I also taught dd sign language so I could get what she needed and the signs I taught her were the first words she started saying when she decided it was more fun to talk! lol
    If you are really concerned bring it up to his ped! As long as he understands you, I wouldn't be worried.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Every child develops at their own rate. My son's first doctor tried to convince me that becase he was not speaking in complete sentences at 18 months that he needed speech therapy. That is just one of the reasons we switched doctors. I have yet to see a child, in real life and not a mom bragging online about her 1 year old all but reading, who speaks before 2 years.
    Anonymous

• My son is 20 months. He says dada, ball, car, star, and farm. He's starting to say mama. We got him evaluated at 15 months and they told us he was borderline for being accepted into the early evaluation program, however, he was babbling up a storm and they figured he'd start talking soon. Within the last 2 weeks he has been starting to try to say more words. He still babbles almost every waking minute.

They said not to worry unless he's not sayinig anything at 2 years. Every child learns at their own pace. My son was also a late walker -- 15 months -- so I think during the last 4 month she has been more into the motor skills than talking.

I would not worry at all! Good luck to you!
    Anonymous

• As long as he is gesturing, pointing, etc. and is responding when you call his name he is probably okay. If he's not doing those things, they would be flags that point toward needing a developmental evaluation. Most one year olds aren't saying very many words, if any at all but you should start seeing at least a few in the next couple of months.

Answer by missanc at 12:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Sounds like your little one is trying.. My son was never a babbler - he didn't say anything til like 11 months and they were words that only basicaly me and daddy knew... he didn't call me mama til 14 months then he had maybe 10 full words anyone could understand at 15 months the rest were 1/2 words that only WE could understand.. it got slowly a couple more here and there then at 19 months he started 2 word sentances and exploded from there on out.. He's 2-1/2 and talking full sentances and answering.. it was amazingly fast now.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• my dd is my 3rd, she is 11 months, she doesn't say anything but bop for stop and baba and dadadadadada, but she has 2 older sisters that do all of her talking for her, don't worry he will get it, just be patient.
    Anonymous

• I'd wait 4 to 6 months my dd took a while and she then started saying a lot. It was like she had been storing words in her head and then one day decided to talk. She repeats everything. I say "good girl" she says "good girl" its so cute.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 3:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2010