what age do you take the sippy sup/big kid cups way?? my daughter daycare says at 2or 3 but she cant use a normal cup with out spilling is it wrong to let her use it longer?

troubledkat911

Asked by troubledkat911 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If it works for them at daycare..I say let them go for it. But while she's with you, I don't think its a big deal if she uses a sippy cup or even one of the cups with a straw in it. Who wants unecessary spills? I'm 33 years old and like to use water bottles for myself,lol. Not to keep from spilling it of course but to keep my drink cold. My son uses water bottles outside and at sports meets. No biggie.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I should still use a sippy cup at 31... but as long as they get practice with a normal cup, I don't see the harm in letting have a sippy cup while on the go or even for meals.. just put water so when she does spill, its not a big deal, its just practice!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Use water and put a small amount in a little cup. She just needs to practice. My son is 17 months and can almost handle a non sippy by himself - we've been practicing since before he was a year old. We plan to take away the sippy completely when he turns 2 (except for travelling we will "graduate" to a sport bottle)

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Of course there is an average age, but you don't have to follow it. Do what works for you. I say let them use the cups at daycare. It probably follows their procedure and is good practice for her. That way they can clean up all the spills =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My son started using a regualr cup at 18 months. I think it could be good for her to use both.
    Anonymous

• Why cant you just teach her to use a regular cup. Children have to adapt to the world, not the other way around.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I'm sure they'll do fine using one at school, that doesn't mean that you have to do it full-time at home. I don't think there's a developmental reason that using a sippy holds kids back or anything. In our house, though, as of about 18 months, we use a regular cup of water at mealtime, a sippy all other times. But my girls like to walk around with a cup of water throughout the day. At mealtimes, it's easy enough to watch them and help them out. So you may want to start there.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• my 3 year old has a sport bottle - with a spout top.

heck I think my 6 year old should use one too...

but we've also got lots of waterbottles with flip top straws and spouts.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• we used something spill proof until my oldest was 5. that was only if they were taking water around the house...at the dinner table i think it was 3 or maybe even 4 that they used regular cups. my almost 5 yo still uses a spill proof with hot chocolate in the living room.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Just do what you want and let them do what they want.
    My older kids used sippies until they were much older because the youngest of them spilled EVERYTHING until she was 3 1/2. The older kids were 4 and 5 at the time. They used sippies around the house a lot or when we were in the car. Once they figured out how to keep their cups out of her reach they were allowed regular cups. All 3 knew how to drink from a regular cup by 2, though, they just spilled a lot.
    My youngest, though, learned to drink from a regular cup at 16 months and has been using one since 18 months. When she turned 2 we tossed all the sippy cups. She's also been drinking out of a regular water bottle since she was 2 1/2.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2010