The fuel company calls my landlord when were behind on a payment..isn't that like invasion of privacy or something?

We have fuel oil for heating our home. We are on a budget plan. We pay $135.00 per month until the cost of the fill up is paid off. Well, last month was tight so we paid other things off and decided to pay the fuel this month. Well, we sent the check in a few days ago then I get an emai lfrom my landlord saying that the fuel company called her complaining that we havent paid.
Why would they do that? Its not her bill or her obligation. She shouldn't have to worry about our finances or even really to know about them.Have you ever heard of such a thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• It happens in the military. Lets say I dont pay a bill off , someone can contact my husbands srg or whoever (im not sure who gts the call) and inform them that we failed a bill. My husband then can get negative counseling form. I never heard of it happening in the "civilian world" though.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think if you don't pay then the landlord is obligated but im not sure.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It's her home, and if you were to move out without paying the bill it gets left for her to take care of. I think it's a great thing, it keeps things paid up and no one else has to foot the bill.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It's in my lease that my utility bills have to be up to date. They'll bill the property (the landlord) if I skip out and not pay...so check what your lease says.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 12:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• if its in YOUR name, then it should by no means have anything to do with your landlord, UNLESS somehow it is set up that it will revert to your landlord for non-pmt or if you move out, something along those lines. Check with the fuel company, check your lease and check with your landlord. If it were me, I would NOT want my landlord knowing my business! good luck!
    Anonymous

• No. Most landlords require this to be done because they do not want power shut off from their rentals homes. If that happens, most likely the landlord will be the one that has to pay to get it turned back on. The landlord usually leaves the power in their names in times of vacancies. Usually the tenant just has to get the utilities transferred into their names. If the landlord did that everytime, he would be paying a deposit every time.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2010