Moms with kids in preschool, how many days a week do they go and how old are they?

I really need some advice on this issue. She is 2 1/2 and goes two mornings a week for only 3 hours a day. I felt this was the most she could take but now every morning we wake up, she goes "school today, momma? School today?" in that pleading voice that makes me go weak. On those days we dont have school, she gets so sad and all through the day, she would ask and ask and ask if she could go to school. Its obvious she loves school (she just only started a month ago) because they teach them so much practical life skills, amongst other things and I guess thats fun for her. I must say that in the month she has been going, she has learned so much! Its amazing!! She also talks about her friends a lot.

So anyway, I guess I am wondering if we should increase her days to 3 days a week. And how many days your kids go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• mine went from 3 yrs to kindergarten... mw&f 9-12
    Anonymous

• Heck yeah, if she wants to. you very much should! My son has to go because we both WOH and he would cry and doesn't want to go, it breaks my heart so badly every morning..
    Anonymous

• My girls are 19 months and almost 3 and they do a "mother's day out" program (9-2:30) twice a week. To me, three full days like that wouldn't be unfathomable but also not ideal for their age. But they're close in age and I like them to have more time together, and at school they're in different classes. I don't think 3 days for 3 hours would be too much in your situation, though... especially if she loves it that much.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• my 3 year old goes tues and thurs mornings from 9-11.

next year she goes mon, wed and fri.

middle dd did the same (2days at 3, then 3days at 4)

oldest was not a preschool kid.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• When mine were 2 yo they went 2 days/week, when they were 3 yo they went 3 days/week, at 4 yo they went 5 days/week. It was 1/2 days (4 hours) and it worked out great. They enjoyed it and it was a good way for them to transition into 5 full days/week kindergarten. My 17 month old is going to start 1 morning/week this fall. I originally didn't plan on sending him until he was ready for the 2 yo class (by his bday that would be the following year - they cutoff here for school is 8/31), but I'm due in July and think preschool will give him some independence/break from baby and allow me some time alone with the new baby.

Answer by missanc at 3:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My youngest is 4 and goes 2 afternoons a week for 2 hours each day. She's been going since she was 3 1/2 (I don't see a point in sending them before that and wouldn't have sent her at 3 if she hadn't begged to go to school like her older siblings). She LOVED school the first half of the year. She always wanted to go and would get upset when it wasn't a school day. Now, with just 1 week of school left, she screams every school day and refuses to go. It's a huge struggle to get her ready and out the door on time. I guess she's burnt out or bored or something. She refuses to do her homework (just practicing writing her name and letter of the week or a coloring sheet).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My daughter attends early childhood special education. She goes 5 days a week, 2 1/2 hours a day. She started just before she turned three years old. She no longer qualifies for the program, so she will be going to a regular preschool class in the fall. I believe we have the choice to send her either two or three days a week. She will probably go three days a week.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 12:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My four year old goes four days a week for two hours and forty-five minutes and goes the whole week for the first week of every month.
    jess_buckley

Answer by jess_buckley at 9:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• my son just turned 4 a few weeks ago, he started preschool when he was 3, that's the youngest they can start here in RI, and that's only at certain private schools. he goes monday thru friday 8-12.
    sleepymamaof3

Answer by sleepymamaof3 at 9:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• my son is almost 5 and goes 4 days a week from 8:30 to 12:00 but he gets out for the summer on may 7th which is wierd cuz its a friday he never goes on a friday. sorry but imo 2 1/2 is to young for preschool
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2010