do you use Craig's list? is it just me , or does it seem like its all scammers and weirdos?

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 12:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i dont use it to sell anymore cause of all the scammers and weirdos....I still buy things off of it though.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I use it and like it, but I live where there's not that many other users. Most of its pretty real here, but if I post something, then I get scam e-mails.

Usually everyone just posts their phone numbers here rather than use their email address.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I use it all the time. I have never had a problem with wierdos or scammers but I think it might depend on where you live.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I use it to buy and sell stuff, and I got a babysitting gig off there too.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 1:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I use it. I've sold a couple things on there before, i advertise for my babysitting on there and once in awhile I'll buy some kids stuff off there too. I've been pretty lucky by to have somehow avoided scammers this far,lol. Although I do get some crank calls or txt messages to my cell phone because my number is on there for the babysitting advert. And I do get a lot of funky emails but I just spam them.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I did it twice and both times I was swamped with calls from weirdo's and emails from scammers saying "I'm disabled and have to send someone with a check, blah,blah,blah" No way pal, cash only! So I don't use it anymore. I also tried our local "freecycle" but it ended up being the same lady coming to get everything and she wouldn't even post the notice, she was one of the administrators or something. I think she was just loading up so she could sell it all herself. It's a shame, you try to be helpful but others ruin it for everyone. Now I try to give stuff to family and friends and if they don't want it, it goes to goodwill.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• i got my dinning room table from craigslist. the lady was polite but seemed to want us off her property ASAP.

GillyMarie

Answer by GillyMarie at 1:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My husband sells on it all the time. He's had a lot of success making extra money too. So not all people are scammers. You just have to be smart who you deal with. Most of the time hubby brings the items to the buyer if it's local so they don't know where we live. He sells for some old guy too (he has a garage treasure trove of tools and antiques) and so far all the transactions (maybe 20 of them) have been fine...
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 1:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Yep, there's a lot of freaks and rip-off artists, but there's also some really nice people too. I have sold a TON of household stuff there before and had pretty good experiences. I have also given away a lot of free stuff and have had some of the people actually call or e-mail and thank me after they pick up whatever I'm giving away. So it's a mix. But because it's a FREE classified website, you're going to have a lot of jackoffs trying to pull crap because they have nothing better to do.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Yes, I have used it to sell a couple of things and it went really well! I just make sure that my email is disguised & don't give my phone # in the ad. After they email me- on my disguised email address- (Craigslist will disguise it for you if you check the box.) I will give my number for them to call only then, that way I know it's a qualified person who is interested. Don't put your phone number in your ad for all to see!! THEN, once I talk to them I will decide to meet them in a public place or just at my house. I did meet with a woman at home & I sold her a used Kids Barbie Jeep after talking w/ her twice. That went well. But I may want to meet in public if it was a guy coming over. So, I would suggest to meet in a public place if you don't feel sure about it. One thing I would NEVER do is answer an ad for nanny services. I would have nothing to do with that!! There have been women murdered answering nanny ads.
    LiveLoveLaugh

Answer by LiveLoveLaugh at 7:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2010