Mothers of children with juvenile diabetes...

How often do you check your child's blood sugar? The reason I'm asking is because I know a lady with a 4 year old with juvenile diabetes and she checks his sugar every half hour during the day and about every hour and a half during the night. It just seems like a lot. I'm a former nurse, but honestly, the only diabetic patients I ever dealt with were adults and they didn't check their sugars that often.I just figured because kids are generally more active than adults their sugar will drop faster.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Health

• My daughter has been diabetic since she was three. We check her sugar now 4 times a day, more if she is running really high (to make sure she is coming down) or really low (to make sure she is coming up.

Way back when we used 300-400 strips a day when she was little which averages to 10-14 times a day.

It sounds like overkill, but I know what it's like to be dealing with a kid who can't tell you hey I'm high or hey I'm low and it's terrifying. The threat of seizure looms over you like a guillotine.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 1:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• heatheryn, that makes sense. A little one can't tell you when they're not feeling well like an adult can. I can only imagine how scary that must be, especially in the beginning when you're still reeling from the diagnosis and trying to figure things out. I guess it does get a little easier when they get older and can tell you things. Best of luck with your daughter!! Thanks for your info.
    Anonymous

• No problem. It does get easier but that seems like overkill to me.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 7:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Well, I have my own opinions about this mother, in other areas besides her son's diabetes. She seems very extreme with everything, but whatever. She's not my problem!
    Anonymous