WTH? is my landlord crazy ?

we have only lived her for 9 months....this house was built in the early 50's ...and yes the outside has newer siding on it but that is all she has done -- we fixed up the inside when we moved in

anyways we told her we are moving out ..and she stopped over and did a look over of the house ( she lives far away and just went ahead and did the look-thru while she was here) ..... well she didnt say anything about it ( which i didnt think she would because it looks very nice and clean) ...but then I called to ask her if she was able to send the deposit through the mail...and she said we cant have it back because she needs it to fix the flooring around the tub and the spot of the roof that looks like it has water damage ! Hoiw are we responsible do that ?!? there is no way we could have ( or would have) done that in just that little bit of time !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If she doesnt give it backshould I take her to court to get it AND maybe even the money we spent fixing it up ( paint, carpet cleaning, plaster for the holes in the wall) , new locks on the door, the flowers beds, new doorknobs, etc)
    Anonymous

• Did you happen to take pictures of the damage that was already done to the house before you moved in?
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• You'll have to take her to court. She has to prove that you did it and it wasn't 50 years of neglect. Also she has to give you an itemized account for all money spent that took up your deposit. In some states if she keeps your deposit for no good reason you can collect even more back sometimes double or triple your deposit. I would search for your state laws on deposits.

Anonymous

• well we took before and after pics of the rooms and stuff...she said the floor in the bathroom to be replaces because its weak in places ( which it was like that when we moved in) .... and the ceilings were like that too and I do think you can probably see the ceiling spot in the pictures ( when we painted I think it made it more noticable though, but it was defiantly already there)
    Anonymous

• Oh hell no! You demand she returns your deposit, give her receipts of all the repairs you have done and if she refuses tell her you are contacting your lawyer and suing her ass!
    Anonymous

• What does it say in your contract? She shouldn't be keeping it, but unless you read the lease you really don't know if it is worth the court fees.
    Anonymous

• Make damn sure you take pictures of your NEW place this way if anything is wrong you can point it out. Your probally not going to get your deposit back you have no proof that you didnt cause the damage. I feel really sorry for you and do hope if anything you can get it back,so let us all know what happened. My sister in law went through this very same thing.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 2:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• We had a landlord do the same thing to us. There were huge holes in the walls from previous tenants that I patched, then she dragged her feet on buying the paint to go over them until a month before we moved. When I asked about the deposit she said she was keeping it 'cuz she had to cover up the spots where I patched the walls. I should have left the gaping holes lol. Our deposit was only $200, so I told DH it wasn't worth it to go after her. If you have proof that the problems were there when you moved in, though, and you think it would be worth it in the end, you can try to get the deposit from her in court. At the very least I would file a complaint with the housing authority- that's something I wish we had done when we were dealing with our landlord.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2010