Carseats for an infant

Are the cheapest ones just as good? I know they aren't quite as soft, but I pad that if he seems uncomfortable. My daughter had a used one from someone we know (it wasn't old, the kid didn't use it long, and it was never in an accident...) so this is the first time I'm having to buy one myself. They have a really cute at target for fifty something, it's a five point harness...so if it's just as safe, I'd rather get that. I know they all pass safety standards and what not...but do pricier ones come with any added features I should know about? Thanks.

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I spent a little more money and went straight to a TrueFit convertible carseat. Most babies outgrow those baby carseats before they turn one anyway. It'll save you money in the long run to just get the convertible. If you are set on getting an infant carseat, all on the market have passed all the safety requirements. But know that if it has less padding you CANNOT add after-market products to make it more cush. The seat wasn't tested with the extra padding and it could cause the seat to fail in an accident. it also voids any warranty that come with the seat.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 2:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• We got the Cosco Scenera convertible as a gift. It's about 50-60 at Walmart, I think. It has the five point harness, adjustable straps, rf up to 35 pounds, etc. We like it. DD is 16 months and 31/32 inches long and hasn't outgrown it rf yet. And don't add extra padding; it can affect the tightness of the straps and that could be bad if you were in an accident. All we used that was extra was a head support when DD was a newborn, and that didn't affect the strap tighness at all.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• You can't add extra padding, it may make the carseat unsafe. Buy one that you think will be comfortable enough as is.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It'll be just as safe as more expensive ones, as long as your LO fits in it properly, it's used properly, and strapped to car properly, and no after market product are used. INCLUDING anything you might use to pad the seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2010