Are we the only ones behind on our rent/mortgage?

We still owe partial months rent for March and we owe for April still. We got behind when work got near dead for my husband back in January and Febuary. I hate being so behind! We pay something every single paycheck but because we were behind on other bills too we have to play the uggling act to make sure the utilities don't disconnect. UGH! Its such a vicious circle. I really hope he gets the new job he has applied for. I work at home and that even got slow for awhile. I work at home so we dont' have to pay for daycare...which is a big expense saver right there.
Sigh. Does it ever end?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Good luck! We were struggling so bad, so we did a loan modification and it still doesn't help. I finally went back to work thinking it would help, but it didn't since I only make $9 an hour and all I feel like I'm paying for most days, is daycare. My DD keeps getting sick so she is being sent home for 2 days, so on top of having to pay for daycare for the whole week (we have to pay for it rather she is there or not) and then paying a babysitter on top of that, most days my job just doesn't even feel worth it. Only reason I haven't quit yet is I need some experience to hopefully one day get a better job or hopefully move up in the company and one day make more. Good luck! I hope things get better for y'all!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Adjust, Adapt, Overcome. It may seem like forever until things get better but they always do! everything always works out. :) Good Luck.
    Oh and my mother is behind on rent by 2 months, so no your not alone.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I wish we could get behind on our rent. But we're in an apt and a few months ago they changed their late/overdue policy. They use to give you one late fee if it wasn't in on time, then they would give you another late fee if it wasn't in by the 10th. I think that was the date...now they give you one late fee chance and if it's not paid by the 10th or 15th (can't remember which) you get an eviction notice. We don't dare be late cuz we'd have no place to go at all. We always pay all the bills first, then if it comes down to who eats...no question...the boys come first, then the cats...yes the cats, they are old and one had uti issues, then us. Although it's never actually come down to that, sure meals will get really boring....but the boys will sometimes ask for oatmeal for supper. lol DH works nights mostly, so our eating habits are all over the map.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Nope. Sorry.. I've never been behind in my rent. I've gone without eating, but not without paying my rent in the past.

You can not be more than 3 days late where I am, that's when you get your 72 hour notice to pay up...

I've seen a few moms on here who have gotten months behind in rent. How do they stay in their place? Seriously if you haven't paid in that 72 hour period here, eviction proceddings begin.
    Anonymous

• Fortunately we have a really nice understanding landlord and she lives out of state. I have always been very upfront and honest with her about our financial ordeals and always have kept my promise to her when I've made one. We maintain her prperty for her,we do lots of work around the house and the yard and we don't charge her for it. I think thats why shes so laid back about the rent being a little late. If we got too far behind though, I wouldn't blame her if she asked us to leave, I mean..she has bills to pay too, right?
    Anonymous

• At this time, no. In 1994 we got 2 mos. on our mortgage after hubby was injured at work and lost about $1,000 a month in pay. We had a savings account but we through it in 6 mos.. During that 6 mos. i was looking for a job and found nothing and I did apply everywhere, including fast food places. 8 mos. after hubby was injured we were 2 mos. behind on the mortgage and I finally ffound a job as a cashier at a grocery store. The mortgage company worked with us and we got caught up in 3 mos. and now, 6 years later our mortgage is paid early (2-3 days before the due date). Getting behind happens, you can only do so much. Have you talked to your landlord? When you have a landlord it's a little different because they may have a mortgage on the home you live in and they have to pay it, no matter what. So, if you don't pay it comes out of their pocket.
    Anonymous

• I have been paying partial payment for several months now this is the first month we have had a full payment since last year. My Grandmother is our landlord and she knows we will take care of her so she doesnt worry to much about us now her other tenants 1 just got the boot because she gave him every chance in the book he was laid off so she lowered his rent down to 300 a month til he could get on his feet, just enough so she could pay the taxes and ins. on the property and they still couldnt pay it so after the secong month of no money she started the preceedings to get them evicted, & the one across the street from me got in a car accident w/ an autozone truck that didnt even scratch his paint and he called a lawyer and is trying to get workers comp so I think he is about to be out of a job too, he is already behind on his payments so she is at her witts end w/ him if he wasnt my moms cousin he would be gone already.
    m0ml0v3s2

Answer by m0ml0v3s2 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• "I've seen a few moms on here who have gotten months behind in rent. How do they stay in their place? Seriously if you haven't paid in that 72 hour period here, eviction proceddings begin. "

This must vary state to state. My parents own rental houses and if someone decides not to pay, they usually lose at least 3 months rent - they have to be behind by 30 days(i think) and then it usually takes another 30 to get it through the courts, plus approx 30 days to fix the place up and get a new renter. I don't remember the exact dates, but I do remember my stepdad saying that if someone is only a month behind, it's better to give them some time to catch up because if you have to kick them out it you lose so much.

Answer by missanc at 10:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2010