why is it so much harder for adults?

Children make friends on a daily basis.... Why can't adults? I was hoping to get on cafemom and find other moms with the same interests as me and make new friends. Real friends not just someone to chat online with. I have seen way too many women that are mean on here. They want to bash others for too many reasons. Whether it be that a woman is reaching out for answeres and get bashed or has different views from another they get bashed. I just wish there were an easier way to meet new people and make REAL friends...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• because children aren't judgmental and they're sweet
    Anonymous

• I know, I've met 3 REAL friends on CM. It is sad how many can't play nice though. And even sadder that the wonderful women I have met, 2 of the 3 don't even live in the state.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• first.. I dont consider "cyber" friends "real" friends. There are a couple women that I have known via the net for well over a year... I would love to meet them and start a friendship. But until I have 100% confirmation in person, in real life, that they are who they say they are... I will be guarded.

In real life I find it VERY easy to make friends.... specially once you have kids.  Just walk up to a mom at the park and make conversation.  Ask about dr, dds, a preschool, her child, the weather... etc.  Exchange info and meet again.  Or if your child is school age just walk up to a mom in the class and ask if she wants to go walking/hiking after the kids are in school.  It really isnt hard... you just have to put your self out there.

Dont expect life long friends instantly.... those kinds of relationships build over many years.

Anonymous

• I agree...so many of them are mean on here. I'll be your friend if you want!!!
    AirForceWife14

Answer by AirForceWife14 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I'm happy to be your friend..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 1:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I agree with you it is hard. I know it is for me. I really only have one "good" friend and we have been friends since grade school but didn't actually become BFFs until high school.

I would love to meet with other moms outside of the net and be friends. Unfortunately, it seems not many live in New Jersey let alone anywhere near me. Where do you live?
    Wendums71

Answer by Wendums71 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• You have to get out there and start living life! Finding friends online rarely works - I've only met a couple people online that I would consider "friends" Volunteer, take a class (either at community college, or through your city's Parks and Recreation Department - they have some classes you could take alone, or ones you can take with your child). Invite the moms from your kids preschool/school out for coffee while the kids are in school. Search for mom's groups in your area - MOPS, or others. Here there are some mom groups that meet weekly at different playgrounds so the kids can play together and then just the moms meet 2x monthly at night for dinner. True friendships take time to develop and nurture, but you have to take that first step.

Answer by missanc at 3:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I live in Georgia... I am also quite shy, so it's hard for me to just strike up conversations with strangers.
    Anonymous