How do I get my 10 year old to stop false bragging?

The bragging in itself drives me crazy but he brags about things that are not even true. He told his new baseball coach that he can fast pitch at 30 miles per hour..he doesn't even know that. I mean yeah, he can throw but he doesn't know the speed. Anyway, the coach was impressed with what he said and told him he could start off being the pitcher.And no, he has not seen him pitch yet, only 1 meeting so far and it was just talk about rules and stuff.Another thing I caught him doing is telling his friends that he has money in his piggy bank in his room, like $500...that boy only has a couple quarters in there.He tells people that he is the fastest runner, and he is by far average.OY.The list goes on. I just would like him to feel satisfied with his tue abilities and not try to blow them up, I think he's great the way he is and have told him so. Kids pick on him for this,because they find out he's lying!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• At some point he's going to get caught in one that will probably embarrasses him to the point where he won't do it anymore. I'd be interested in why he's doing it. It sounds like he may have low self-esteem and is trying to make himself sound more important. I use to do that when I was much younger, but I have to admit that I got caught in some 'whopper stories' and it broke me of the habit.
    I'm thinking the thing with the fast pitch is going to come around and bite him in the rear, coaches tend to look down on that sort of thing. I've known some that would kick someone off the team for that.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I am really surprised that other kid spicking on him about the lying hasn't put a end to it. My niece used to do this all the time, but once she starting getting caught in the lies and was embarassed, it stopped. I guess I would use the pitching as an example and ask him how he is going to feel when he goes to pitch and can't do it and then possibly costs the team the game. Just emphasize the consquences that are undesirable. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My dad has been like this his whole life, who knows.. it might make him a great salesperson one day, however, I can see how it drives you crazy cause it is not fun to listen to or be around - have you talked to him about this?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• He is looking for positive attention. He wants people to feel he is super cool. Lots of kids do this. I would just tell him honestly "Look, everyone knows you're lying & that will eventually make you look more stupid" or something along those lines. And let him know that lies eventually come ot into the open. As the Dalai Llama said:

"Only 3 things are sure to arise ...the sun...the moon & the truth"

Did he get much positive attention from his dad growing up? Does his father show him how proud of him he is & often? Sometimes it can lead to over bragging if one or both parents did not give a child the pride & attention they need to feel good about themselves. So, they feel like they need to make things up to feel good about themselves & have others think good about them.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Thanks, you all have offered some good advice and words of wisdom. As matter of fact, he idolizes his dad and always wants to make him proud. I think it may stem from that a bit. His dad doesnt acknowledge much other than the big accomplishments he makes. I don't think his dad does it on purpose, he is just happy when his son succeeds and makes a super big deal out of it, but he's an average kid, so that hdoesnt happen too often.His dad and I are also divorced. So maybe this is somethign to look into. I have asked my son why he does this and he just says"I don't know". Now he knows that I know when he's full of bologna on something, I tell him, come on now..I'm your mom. I know your full of it right now. And he'll laugh.I just don't want him to grow up to be one of those guys that noone can stand because they are known as "BULLSHITTERS". That right there is the harsh truth,lol.
    Anonymous