for those that had a natural child birth, and used a pool to soke in do they do this only in home birthsa or in hospitals too? Also do you have to ask for it or do they just put you in it or do they ask you if you want it? Does every hospital offer this?

also if you go natural with no drugs do they let you walk around up until it is time to push for pain?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No. Not every hospital offers this, and even if they do have the tubs, you will have to request it in your birth plan. You should call the hospital you are thinking about delivering at and schedule a tour of the maternity ward. They will answer all your questions.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Every hospital is different so you would need too see if your hospital has birthing tubs. Some have one in each room or just a couple for everyone to use. If it is a hospital that offers that, then you would let your nurse know when you get checked in, that it is something you would like to try. As long as you aren't hooked up to anything then they should let you have freedome of movement until it is time to push. Your best bet would be to get a tour of your hospital and see what they say to your requests. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 2:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• some hospitals have tubs to labor or birth in. some do not. all of the other questions, it depends on the hospital too. (well i doubt that there are any hospitals that would just put you in a tub w/out you first saying you wanted to)

you can do your research on area hospitals, birthing centers, homebirth midwives to find out all of your options.

with my first child, the hospital had jacuzzis in every room that you could labor and birth in. the routinely hooked you up to monitors for 15-20 minutes and then you were free to move around. they also routinely did IVs but you were able to decline that.

with my 2nd child, we had moved, so i looked into hospitals in the area. most are horrible imo. you are always free to decline constant monitoring, IVs, etc but they & many hospitals make it very very difficult. if you are hooked up to continuous EFM, you probably will not be allowed to move around.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the hospital. Some have birthing tubs, but you're more likely to find that at a birthing center than at a hospital. The walking around also varies by hospital/doctor. Some hospitals won't let you, some will let you as long as your doctor says it's ok. Again, the better choice if this is what you want is to find a birthing center. They'll generally let you do whatever you feel is right, whether that's laboring/birthing in a tub, walking around, birthing standing up or squatting, whatever. But you definitely need to ask about these things in advance; schedule a tour of any hospitals/birthing centers you're considering earlier in your pregnancy to give you time to think about it and make your decision. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• CONT

also none of those had tubs to labor/birth in.

i found 1 hospital that i felt comfy w/. no continouos monitoring, i can decline IV w/out a huge fight, and i can labor but NOT birth in the tub. :( it really depends on the hospital.

there are no birthing centers near me. there are hb midwives, but not covered by my ins.

just do your research and make sure you find a place that you can have what you want.
    Anonymous

• i just wanted to add that there is no reason a hospital shouldn't also allow you to be in any position you want during the actual birth/pushing. but that is another thing that some hospitals will do, and others will not. i had to make sure the hospital i was at would let me birth my baby how i want.

another important things is making sure you have a midwife/ob who respects your wishes.
    Anonymous

• It varies by hospital. You can check this site out for the certified baby-friendly hospitals/birth centers in the US and what that involves:http://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/eng/03.html The one where I live didn't provide the tubs but you could shower, and as long as you didn't have an epidural you could get up and walk, sit on the ball, in a rocking chair, etc.  The only thing I didn't appreciate was the pushing position- I would have preferred to be able to be more upright but they "don't do it that way".  None of the other hospitals in my area do either, and the one I go to is actually a Baby Friendly one, so I figured it was the lesser of the evils.  My insurance didn't do home births and there aren't any birth centers near here that I know of.

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• All of that depends on where you go and your doctor! I went to a midwife who owned a freestanding birthing center. I had the choice of using the tub or staying in bed. I opted to use the tub (it really was wonderful!). I have heard other women say that the hospital in town does not do water births. With my midwife I was pretty much allowed to do whatever I wanted while in labor. I got up and walked around, drank some water. They wanted me to eat, but I was getting sick to my stomach so I didn't want to. You need to talk to dr's and find one that will work with what YOU want to do. If you want a strict medical setting, or if you want the freedom to do whatever. It should be about how you want things to go to make you the most comfortable. Not whatever is the most convient for the dr!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2010