HELP ME PLEASE!!!

My daughter just turned 3 and lately at naptime or bedtime she SCREAMS bloody murder for no reason. She has the same daily schedule and now all of the sudden even the mention of naptime or bed sets her off into a crying fit. I cannot take it anymore. I know it is not time to cut out naps because if we go anywhere and she hasn't napped that day she will pass out in the car in 5 minutes. I know she is just WAY overtired but what can I do???? Naptime takes 2 hours to get her to sleep and bedtime take 3 to 4 hours! HELP ME!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• LOL! Girl, we used to take our daughter for a ride in the car. You are going to have to work with her schedule. Keep her awake. Cut out naps. Then when it's bedtime, either drive her around till she falls alseep, or lay her in her crib and let her cry. They can't cry forever and I will guarantee she will stop after a few nights of this. It's a total normal stage, so don't let it get you down.
    Anonymous

• If there is nothing physicaly wrong with her, shut the door and let her scream..
    Mad_Hexer

Answer by Mad_Hexer at 2:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Did you ask her why she gets upset at nap/bedtime? My son now takes a nap instead of at 12 like it had been, its now at 1:30 and I know if he takes a long one, bedtime will be a battle ... so we try to keep it around 2 hours. Bedtime still takes an hour but its not screaming anymore. Have you tried a nightlight? if she's scared, maybe monster water spray? or whatever is scaring her? what about getting a "special naptime/beditme animal? Good luck!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Does she have something she loves to have with her when she sleeps? If so, take it away and tell her she can have it back when she is done crying. This work like a charm with both of my kids. If she doesn't have something like that just explain that you will take away something she does like if she cries at nap time or bed time.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 2:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• OP Here- Thank you for your advice ANON but I refuse to get her used to a car ride to go to bed, plus she would wake up the second we are home anyway. She is in a toddler bed so she gets up when she pleases. I am just so sick of her not sleeping cuz she cries all day!
    Anonymous

• PS.. Letting my son cry is never really an option, I wonder how that works for others... my son is in a big boy bed and will just come find me or scream and toss and turn til he gets hurt, taking everything out didn't work as he dramatically throws himself at the walls to try to get my attention..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I had to do the super nanny thing. I would ignore my dd and just carry her straight back to bed..no eye contact. just say night night and put her in bed. next tiem say nothing. 1st day it took about an hour and she got up atleast 20 times. within 3 or 4 days we would do our cuddly time and read a story then i would turn on her cd and say night night and she would stay in bed.

1st day was tiring but funny she tried laughing, screaming, throwing..pretty much everything to get our attention. When she knew nothing was going to work she gave up.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Don't know if this would work or not but I guess anything is worth a try when you just don't know what to do or what will work,lol. Maybe try "rebooting" her. For one day, don't lay her down for a nap, make her stay up until bedtime and then lay her down. Hopefully she will be tired enough to fall to sleep in a short time. Then then next day maybe she will be ready to be back on track again. Good Luck.
    Anonymous