No more naps?

My 20 month old won't take a nap anymore. I lay him in there at his normal time but 2 hours later he's still happily playing away. He's been refusing to nap at day care as well. Is this just a stage? Or is it really possible he doesn't need a nap anymore? I mean, I remember taking naps in preschool and he's not even 2!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he could be done napping.

all three of mine quit napping around 18 -20 months.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It could just be a phase though, ours went through that. They are 4 and 5, neither of them are in school yet, sometimes they'll go for weeks at a time without napping, not falling asleep before dinner, going to bed at the regular time and waking up normally. Then for some reason they'll start wanting to take one, last week the little came and gave me a hug and said I'm taking a nap. The older one went, laid down and they were both out. Not sure what caused it, but I wasn't complaining...I took one too. lol
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Our son stopped taking DAILY naps around 2 to 2-1/2 y/o. For him it was a phase & was dependent on how active our days were. He would take naps on the weekends when we had more going on. It took me a while to adjust to it, (because nap time was my break, LOL) but the good news for us was that if he didn't take a nap, then he'd be in bed early and all night. Around 7-7:30pm. Otherwise, we were up a lot later. It actually gave me & DH more alone time in the evenings if he doesn't nap.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• If he is lying there happily, then keep putting him down whether he sleeps or not. Don't miss a day! He may actually start right back up again. My daughter who is almost 3 has had 3 different periods where it looked like she was giving up her nap... and each time, she has come right back to napping every day! I'm SO GLAD we didn't just take a nap out of the daily schedule... Right now she's in a phase where she actually sleeps every day, with the exception of some school days. A few months ago, she was only actually sleeping a few times a week... But in either case, I think the down time is essential both for parents and the kids.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My dd quit at 21 mos as well... She used to climb on my lap and go right to sleep. Since she quit taking naps she still lays on my lap but never closes her eyes and we have our relax time holding each other reading. She still needs her down time but it's like just sitting is a nap! I sure do miss them (I always napped when she napped)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My 3 year old sleeps when she wants to lol.If she doesnt nap she is in bed @ 8:30.Sometimes she will just ask to go upstairs and i wont here from her for a couple hours and find her passed out in her play cottage full of teddy bears.A couple times i have found her sleeping on the stairs..like she didnt make it to her room she was so tired or something lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My 3 year old went through a no-napping stage, it didnt' last long. He went back to napping when we switched daycare. When he didn't want to nap, I laid him down with a book; so he was at least quiet.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 6:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2010