Cry it out method?!

My friends baby is 4 months old, i watch him while she works. He refuses to be put down at all. My friends thinks he should cry it out and take a nap. However he screams for more than 20 -30 minutes and still doesnt sleep well. He is fed, changed so i know thats not the problem. When you pick him up he is instantly fine. What should i/ she do? Were at a loss.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is still a little baby to young for CIO
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 2:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Tell her this baby is too young for the cry out method! They need body warmth to reassure them.

Answer by older at 2:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• no he's not. cry it out method is best used though as soon as theyre born, that way they wouldn't have gotten used to a different earlier technique.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Can you get a sling to help? My Over The Shoulder Baby Holder was a LIFESAVER with my daughter who was the same way. She could nap and feel like she was being held, and I had my hands free to do what I needed to do.

The Over The Shoulder Baby Holder is a safe sling! It's not like the Infantino POS that was recently recalled. It's totally safe and can be found on Ebay for really cheap, too.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Personally, I always felt that anytime before 8 months was too early to try the cry it out method.
    At 4 months..some babies are just naturally a little more clingy and it can be exasperating. Maybe he is like that though because he's seeking security because his mom does the cry it out method with him at home already. Not that shes a bad mom for it, sometimes we all just get a little to exhausted and just don't know what else to try to do.
    For my daughter, I bought a snuggly and there she was alllll day long,lol. Tough? Yes. And I babysat for other children while I had to do this too. It was better than hearing her constantly cry though.
    Anonymous

• CIO should NEVER go beyond 15 min. Personally I think CIO is cruel and unhumane and your friend is an uneducated mother if she allows it to go more than 15 min
    Anonymous

• I think he is too young to cry it out for that long honestly i would only let him go for 10 minutes and that's it. Does he have a binky or some music you can play for him. maybe a swaddle blanket would work. but he's too young to cry it out period if you ask me
    Anonymous

• Babies need to be held, some need to be held more that others. CIO is NOT good for a baby of any age. This is to make life with baby more convenient for the adults. Go to Leaving baby to cry could damage brain development

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Please do not listen to fefe87...you should never let a newborn cry it out
    EternalDreams

Answer by EternalDreams at 2:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• According to Dr. Judith Owens, director of the Pediatric Sleep Disorders clinic at Hasbro Children's Hospital in Providence:
    "By 3 months, your baby is developmentally ready for sleep training. The older she gets, the more ingrained her nighttime habits will become. Start by putting your child in her crib, drowsy but still awake. If she screams, check in after 5 mins, then 10, and so on. The visits should be brief, boring, and unemotional. Expect a burst of loud protest on the first night or two, but it will all be over in about a week, and often in just a few days."
    If you are uncomfortable with how your friend wants you to care for her child, then perhaps you need to encourage her to find another child care provider or let you try something you are more comfortable with.
    Anonymous