First post-partum period? Don't know where to post it.

Had my DD 6 1/2 months ago, first period at the end of march. I THINK it was a period. It started out very lightly (a drop or two for 2 days) ended in a week of full on bleeding. I had no signs of a period coming at all, no pain, nothing.
My cycle was 28 days before pregnancy and if it still is, I didn't get my period yesterday. My boobs have hurt for 2 weeks now though, usually thats my sign but I still haven't gotten a period.
My periods have always been like clock work. I highly doubt I'm pregnant but would it be a good idea to take a test anyways?

Should I assume my cycle is the same or is it normal to be irregular? First baby so I'm not sure how the period issue works. I'm at a loss.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're nursing? It's 100% totally normal for periods to be incredibly irregular when they first return. I was unlucky and got my first period 6 weeks post-partum (while nursing around the clock!) but it was really wacky for a long while. If you are nursing, your milk-making hormones will likely continue to interfere at least somewhat with your ovulation. Probably no reason to worry, but if you still haven't had a period in the next few weeks, I would probably take a test if I were in your place. But then, I'm a worrier.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I nurse a few times a day. EBF the first 4 months but the majority of my babies diet is formula and solids.
    Anonymous

• Irregularity is normal post-partum. Take all precautions if you don't want to be pregnant, but don't expect 28 days for a while.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2010