My cousin is going to have her baby at home alone with only her husband and her 13 year old daughter.

Has anyone else heard of someone doing this before? There will not be a doctor or midwife present. I am not sure what to think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Women did if for thousands of years before doctors came. And yes, I know many women who have. Yay for her.
    ArkTech

Answer by ArkTech at 3:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I kind of think it is crazy. So much can go wrong. Also, if something does go wrong it could traumatize her daughter. There isa reason why there are lower death rates these days. Hospitals, doctors, more modern equipment! They all have something to do with it.
    Anonymous

• Yep! Thats how babies have been born since the beginning of time!
    Anonymous

• I think that is stupid and foolish. I pray to God nothing goes wrong. I can understand wanting to have a home birth but what is the problem with having a licensed professional there! I just don't understand that part. Why wouldn't you want a midwife there? Whatever. I hope she doesn't regret this decision. And yes it has been done since the beginning of time but many women and babies died until doctors started getting involved.
    Anonymous

• it's called unassisted childbirth or UC. assuming she's done her research and is prepared, i think it's good. not for me, but great for many women
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 3:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I wonder what kind of charges would be filed against them if something happened to the baby during labor?

Hopefully she is informed and educated on the subject of unassisted birth and knows her rights.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think it is okay and their choice.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 3:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• most people are only a moment away from emergency care if there happens to be a problem. like others have said, hopefully they have looked into this, and will know what problems will require assistance. wish her luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It is her choice, but it is dangerous. She should have a midwife around or someone trained to help if a problem should arise. A girl I know had her baby with just her husband present. It was a LONG labor too, the baby was face up..
    Anonymous