Why does she have accidents only at home??

My 19 month old has taken really well to potty training. We take long car rides fairly often and she tells me when she needs to stop. If we're at the grocery, the library, the park, she tells me. My mom watches her once a week at her house and she tells her when she needs to go. At school I think the teachers just take her periodically, so she doesn't have accidents there but I don't think she initiates it. However, at home, she will sometimes tell me when she needs to go, but lately she's much more likely to act like she doesn't know what the potty is for!!! Last night after a perfect day out and about, with her initiating every potty trip, she came home and had 3 accidents. I don't know what to do about it... I don't want to just take her and make her sit when she is fully able to recognize the "need-to-go" feeling in every other possible context. Has anyone had this experience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• By the way, she is in underwear 24/7. She is dry all night, dry every nap... she hasn't had a poop accident in 2 months. It's just the peeing her pants when she's playing in our living room!!!
    Anonymous

• I don't know the answer, but I do think it's pretty normal. She's very comfortable at home and gets involved in what she is doing, and when she's out going to a different potty is an adventure; at least that's how I think my daughter views it. She rarely has accidents anywhere accept at home, usually when playing. I think maybe they just are too focussed on other things. Maybe we need to remind them occaisionally, or maybe we need to involve them more in cleaning up so they won't care to do it again.
    Anonymous

• It's important that you ask. I'm sure grandma and teacher ask and take potty breaks so that means she's relying on someone to be responsible enough as an adult to help train her. Help her.
    Anonymous

• Oh, I do help her... I remind her often that she needs to let me know when she has to go, I often ask her if she needs to go. I definitely don't sit there just waiting for her to have an accident, but I also don't want to pick her up and stick her on the pot when she's capable of recognizing when she needs to go. If I ask her and she says no, I don't force her to go. The thing is she had 2 full weeks of dry pants without me taking hourly breaks with her.. But now sometimes she even tells me "potty" but then won't go and promptly has an accident. I feel like if I take full responsibility it will only further encourage her to rely on an adult to put her on the pot and she'll stop listening to her bodily cues entirely.
    Anonymous

• You should have waited until she was ready. She's too young.
    Anonymous

• Oh brother, here we go again... No one can say your daughter is too young. Plenty of kids are ready to train at 18 or 19 months and if your daughter is getting it while you're out, at school, at grandma's, over night, it sounds like she is well on her way. My thought is that it may just click one day and she'll realize she needs to stop whatever she's doing and sit on the potty. You could try changing up the potty routine at home, like either offering a new reward or putting the potty in a different place... I also generally like the suggestion about having her help with clean-up, although I'm not sure how beneficial that would be at 19 months... my little one that age I don't think would get that at all, but it's worth a try. You can also give her something fun to do while on the potty (only at home) like a book or something cool to hold. Or you could take away the thing she was doing when she had her accident... GL!
    Anonymous

• She feels most comfortable at home so she is not worried about having an accident there. This is good that she feels safe enough to "make mistakes" at home! You may just need to have some more scheduled trips to the potty at home for a bit.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Home is where she is comfortable. so she dosent feel the need to get up and go..because there is no one around to laugh or make a big deal if she has an accident. She is comfortable her clothes are there, toys..She will get over it, and learn that it feels gross and not do it anymore. My dd has done that a few times.
    Anonymous