gifted kids

This question is NOT to be obnoxious or to brag about my child, please don't read it that way! My oldest daughter is going to be 3 soon. She has an incredible vocabulary, is incredibly inquisitive, never stops asking (good) questions all day long. Her preschool teachers just talked to me about her and said that they have never seen a child like her. My friend who is a pediatrician made the comment once, "you know, you can't just put her in regular school." I know this isn't just a parent's pride coloring our experience... she is just extremely gifted. My question is what should I do? I by no means want to push her or take away any of her unstructured childhood experience... I just want to start thinking, down the road, what can I do to help her be able to blossom into who she can be, rather than get bored in school or some of the other problems gifted kids have. What should I be thinking about for schools, etc? Ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am in a similar situation with my two year old. I am homeschooling him. I had my fears about homeschooling a gifted child until I thought about what would happen to him in school: he would be one of 30 kids and 1 teacher and if he caught on to a subject very quickly he would have to wait for the rest of the kids to catch up before going on to the next one. At home he is one-on-one, as soon as he grasps a concept he can move right along to the next one and if he has a harder time with something we can take it slowly until he gets it.
    Anonymous

• As one of those gifted kids as I was growing up, I found the smaller gifted program courses to be a boon to me. There were generally 7-10 kids in one of the gifted classes. In my regular classes, I would always get into trouble with my teachers because, despite passing all my classes, I was considered insubordinate because I would be long finished with my work and be reading in class, ignoring both teacher and classmates.

All you can do is continue to encourage them to do and learn whatever it is that catches their interest, whether it is books, sciences, arts, or any of a million other things you can think of.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 3:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• You can put her in "regular" school. They have classes for gifted kids - my son is in a class of 20 all "highly gifted" kids with 2 certified teachers. Sometimes, they can take the kids and have them go to the next grade level during reading or math, whichever pique their interest. Occasionally, the AG teacher will have a small handful of students that come to her during regular times throughout the week where she gives them extra "differentiated learning materials" You may have to stay on top of the school, as any parent of any special needs child, but it can be done in a regular public school setting.
    But - make sure that in her pursuit of education, you don't forget she is a child and needs to be exposed to activities that are not necessarily "educational" (ie sports, music, etc) so she turns into a well rounded adult.

Answer by missanc at 4:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• at 3... work with her. By the time she's ready for kindergarten you'll have a great idea of her capabilities. Then, discuss it with the school officials and see what they would like to do. If you are unhappy at that point- you consider alternative.

For now- work with her.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Both my boys are the same, so I decided to unschool them. They are 4 and 6, and just continue to learn the same as they always have. They are thriving, and I feel it was the best decision I have ever made for them, and for our family.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2010