How Important is it to have siblings?

For you and your kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• well, considering my DS will be an only, I guess not that important for us
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• im the youngest of 4. my siblings were very important to me growing up. if i had girl problems i went to my sisters and me and my brother hung out until highschool. now that im older they have helped me get through some really tough times. we are not as close as we use to be but we would still do anything for each other.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't think they are very important. My brother is 12 years younger than me and my sister is 6. We are not close, we don't really talk at all. We all live in 3 different states. I see my sis about 3 times a year and my brother maybe once every few years.

As for my own children, the 2 younger ones are close. I am not sure how things will be when they are all adults.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think it has to do with spacing, kids close in age will be close and even best friends!
    My sister and brother are way older then I am and always felt like the only child since they were out of the house by the time I was 10. I hated it, I hated being alone
    Anonymous

• It's very important to me. I had a sister 2 years older than me and brothers 1, 2, and 3 years younger - all 5 of us got along great and we have so many fun stories from growing up of stuff we did together. And now that we're getting older I can see that when my parents reach "that age" where they will need some help with care, it will be much easier on all of us because we have each other for support and encouragement, not to mention a lot of hands to pitch in with the work! I always knew that I wanted to have several kids - I'm due with my 5th in July, and sad to say it will be my last.

Answer by missanc at 4:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Every family and situation is different of course. But I grew up an Only child. I have no half sibblings, step sibblings or even cousins that live within a 4 state range. Even though I had plenty of friends growing up. I always had a void and a empty feeling. Whenever someone else talks about there brothers and sisters. I get so angry and I know I should move past it but I can't. Even today my fiance has 3 sisters and it makes me jealous at least weekly. So should really consider how your child might feel.
    Anonymous

• I think - very. I depend on my brothers for support, encouragement, and honest opinions. We laugh together, cry together, huddle together when one of our parents is sick, and share all those stupid growing up stories. My MIL died last Jan., and my FIL died this March. My husband and his brothers have leaned on each other so much especially since their only sister died 5 days before their father. It has been hard for them (and all of the family), but they have others who feel the same loss and can relate. I have 3 sons who do the same as their dad and me . They laugh, fuss, compete, talk, reminisce, and sometimes fight but always support. They depend on each other. It is a fine thing to watch.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• For me--I couldn't imagine not having my sisters who are 12 mos. & 9 days and 7 1/2 years younger than me. For my children--none of them could imagine not having their brothers. There's 4 of them with a 5 year & 3 1/2 month space between the 1st and the 4th. My husband came from a family with 3 sons and even though they all have the same parents there's a huge space in between (hubby was born 3 days after his oldest brother turned 20 and his other brother was 8). For him having our children closely spaced together was very important and having 3-4 was also important to him. He wanted a large, close knit family and we have it.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It's very important to have some, but not too many. I have 4 and that's about 2 too many.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It's very important to us. That's why I have number 2 on the way. I couldn't imagine NOT having my siblings. Once my parents are gone someday, THEY are still in my life. My DH would have never gotten through his mother's death without his brother and sister either. We started trying for number 2 shortly after that sad event.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2010