I'm really annoyed (potty training question)

My son is 3 and 3 months and we have started potty training. It's a nightmare. When he was 18 months he was ASKING to sit on the potty and when he sat there he would go. Almost every time. It was such a fun adventure for him. The problem was that his daycare provider, when we told her that he was into the potty and even knew when he needed to go, she just said, "They all go through that at 18 months." I knew we couldn't get very far without the daycare provider being on board. I think we had that opportunity at 18 months and we missed it. But now I feel like we're at the age everyone says it should be a piece of cake and he wants nothing to do with the potty. What can I do? He is holding his poop, peeing on the floor, having tantrums. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ugh, that sucks! I think she was onto something saying they all go through that around 18 months... uh, yeah, so maybe we should teach them all to use the potty then! I don't think your window is closed forever, but I do think there is something to be said for training a child when they're eager to please, when they have a NEW awareness of their body's functioning, and when they haven't gotten fully conscious and accustomed to sitting around in poopy diapers. I'm a big fan of training before two. I know that doesn't help you very much - sorry. No advice here but I'm sure there are PLENTY of other parents of 3 year-old boys who can chime in with similar issues and maybe possible solutions.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• it took a full year to potty train my dd. she would throw a fit for no reason after doing so well. one of the biggest things to remember when potty training is patience and consistency. it takes time and getting them use to going in the potty every time.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• " Hello," My respects to you, potty training is hard believe me. I have 4 kids of my own and I went 4 times throught it and every time seen more harder to do it. Well, what I learn about it, is you don't rush into things, take time with your son, you have to keep in mind that he is more aware of people seen him use his potty and also a big goal for him. Sometimes it's better if your husband gets involved, don't get frustrated. when he has to go eventually he will go. And one for more thing, don't use potty training underwear, they make him comfortable enough for him not wanting to use his own potty.
    vero0108

Answer by vero0108 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2010