Where there legitamate Christians before the bible? And if so why is unquiestioned belief in the bible needed to be Christian today?

There was a question earlier about what makes a Christian. I have always believed that the only real thing needed to be Christian was a belief in and relationship with Jesus, the God YHWH, and the belief in the holy spirit...

However many stated that a belief in the bible is a requirement as well. But if this is the case then wouldn't that mean that the Christians who existed prior to the completion of the Bible would not have been as legit as today's Christians...

What are your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can't even begin to know how to answer your question. But As a Christian I by faith trust in God's Word to be perfect and true. This is for me one of those things to leave in Gods hands and not try to figure out in my mind (For those back thousands of yrs ago). I sometimes don't question God in some matters. If someone was to accept Christ on their death bed and repent wholeheartedly of there wicked ways they would then be right with our merciful amazing full of grace Living God!!! And yes when they passed would be with Him. That's the peace I have. That person may have never even read the bible or seen it. But God is sooooooo good and loving to accept them John 3:16 and Rev 3;20
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 4:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• all I know is I am a christian and I dont belive in every word of the bible. AND i kind of agree with the first poster.. im getting real sick of all the stupid religious questions. JMO
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Good point but when I refer to the bible I refer to it as the Word of God... belief in His word is essential as a Christian.
    Back when the Jews shared the stories it was imperative that you believed it was true. If you didn't then you didn't believe in who God was.
    The Christians who believed before the bible was written did believe.. the writers were walking in it and writing down the letters as they went along sharing what they did say and preach. Most of the NT are letters to the different churches.. they got those letters and they were read to the churches as encouragement, rebuke and correction. Many were sent to the different apostles and disciples to be read and passed on to those they oversaw.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• No question is stupid.. and if you are sick of them then there's the door.. just don't trip on your way out. :-D
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• ha ...ignorant people are a hoot.
    Anonymous

• I respect her and her beliefs... so she is a witch.. are you afraid of that?
    Jesus hung out with tax collectors and sinners.... tax collectors were considered EVIL in those days but Jesus still respected them and shared His love with them... Matthew became his disciple.. guess what his job was ? Yup you got it.. a TAX collector!!! Sinners were those that walked in sin daily.. they may have been thieves, and liars and other stuff but He still had respect for them. He hated the sin but loved them dearly and so will I be the same.. love people like Sabrina dearly.. Anon.. you have NO idea the compassionate heart I carry which is HIS heart.. I have wept in my heart for some of these the last few days because I truly care about them and the path they are on. I cannot change them but I can intercede for them, love , respect and honor them....Jesus does! I may disagree with them but that doesnt mean I should disrespect them.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I believe the Word is written upon our hearts and as we grow in our relationship with God, the Word is brought forth from our hearts. The Bible I feel is a tool and not the "god" that people have made it to be. Yes I believe that the Bible is the Word of God, but again it is a tool for guidance and to help confirm what God has already spoken to our hearts, through our relationship with Him.   The Bible is not a subsitute for our relationship with Him.    

Anonymous

• The way I see it, as I believe that to be a Christian one of the things is believing the bible is the infallible word of God and was inspired by Him, that includes the Old Testament as well as the "gospel" So the early Christians would have needed to believe the basic stuff in the OT about God being all powerful, etc, the prophecies regarding the Messiah (Christ) from the OT, and also the new "gospel" of the Christians. Of course, in light of the first part of John, one could argue that it is not, in fact, belief in the literal book but in the "Word of God", which is Jesus according to John chapter 1. Not saying that's what I believe, I do believe that we must accept the Scripture in their entirety as God-breathed and infallible if we are going to accept God and salvation, but that is one way of looking at things.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think it is more the New Testament and as John says it is His word. If you do not believe in the new testament but you do agree with the Old Testament you would be Jewish. Jesus came and set us free from many of the rules from the Old Testament

Anonymous

• OP yes there where Christians by definition. However obviously they were not BIBLE followers they where just kind. Believed in God all that stuff that many Christians forget about. As for the very first religion that was paganism. Some Christians can't grasp that concept.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2010