Mom's of three kids, How much harder is life now that you have #3?

I need advice. I want to have another. We have two and I think this is about our last chance. Is having number three, like putting yourself into a whirlwind? I mean,our lives are busy and going in many directions w/the two that we have. Thanks for your input:)

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 5:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have always heard going from 1 to 2 is much harder than going form 2 to 3. I'd have to agree! I love having 3. Once you have 2, the 3rd just kind of fits right in.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• That's nice to hear. I've been wondering the same thing. We have a 3 year-old and a 19 month-old and we're thinking of having a third by next summer or so (so we'd have a 4, 2 and newborn. I've worried that life would be a new level of crazy, though. It's nice to hear that isn't the case for everyone.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Honestly, for me going from 2 to 3 was hard. My third was a winter baby and getting three kids into full winter gear twice a day to get my oldest two and from school was really difficult. I hate being housebound and ended up feeling very depressed because I hated staying home, but it was so time consuming to get three kids (one ebf'ing and one potty training!) co-ordinated and out of the house to go anywhere that I hated going out too! I ended up being treated for PPD when the youngest was about eight months old so that could have been a factor too.
    Now that they are older (almost 8, almost 6, and 3.5 years) my main comment is BUSY!!! Between homework and extracurriculars, our evenings/weekends are very busy. We limit extracurriculars to two per child and even so we are always shuttling kids around. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change a thing, but it is WAY busier than I thought it would be as they get older!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Con't. But like I said, don't be discouraged because every family is different. I think that the weather played a huge factor in me having a hard time adjusting... a warmer climate (or a summer baby!) would have been so much easier! And as I said, in terms of the actual kids and their interaction, I love having three. I just feel like I am always being pulled ten different ways: three kids times two activities weekly is six places a week where we have to be, and that doensn't include school, homework, playdates, and any commitments my dh and I may also have... it's busy is what I'm saying! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• #3 actually brought us all together.

she was a surprise that medically shouldn't have been able to happen.

its a challenge coordinating everyone, and making sure that everyone's had their mom attention. but I wouldn't do anything different.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I have five... for me 2 was harder then the 5 I have now.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 5:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I went from 1 to 3, so I don't know what 2 is like. I have often heard that going from 1 to 2 is much harder than going from 2 to 3, and that does make sense to me. I think it does depend on the kids' ages and personalities, as well as your ability to deal with the unexpected. If your family is healthy and happy then adding another would be a blessing, but if your family is already stressed it might be too much.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I thought having the third one was easier. Number one and two watched out for each other while I dealt with number 3.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I have 2 and would also like to hear the answers to this question!
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 7:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Having my third baby made no major impact...he fit right in :)
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 7:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2010