How many of you get along with your Mother??

Just wondering... My Mother drives me crazy, we can't get along!! We live 2 hours away and we can't even talk over the phone without snapping at each other. I wish it wasn't this way, but we are compete opposites. She is Religious and very Conservative, if you make a joke shes uptight & takes it the wrong way. I am out-going and I do believe in Religion, I just don't attend Church.

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 5:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• We get along 75% of the time..the rest of the time she is talking down to me and giving much unneeded and unwanted advice,lol.
    Anonymous

• we get along 100% of the time.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Can I ask haow old you are? Please don't think I am being condesending,because I can tell you,just over a year ago I hung up on my mom and called her a " F" word. It's just that,I am now 38 and my mom and I are getting along so much better than we ever have. She sounds like you and I am more like your mom. It makes it hard but believe me,it gets better with time.;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 5:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• my mom is really cool. iv always gotten along with her. even through my teenage years. she is very open minded and not judgemental, which is the way i really try to be. we can talk about almost anything. i even get along with my mil quite nicely. she has seen us through a lot of tough times and i have a lot of respect for her.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• We get along as long as nothing "touchy" comes up, like my health, extended breastfeeding, politics, that sort of stuff. Keep the conversation on the mundane side and we do great. Doesn't happen so much in real life, though. We are just too good at pushing each other's buttons right now; hopefully that will get better over time.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• We get along. I put my parents through hell when I was a teenager...sneaking out of the house, getting arrested, etc....but my mother and I get along better than ever now...aside from the arguments we have when it comes to raising my kids.
    Anonymous

• I'm 23 years old, we've never had a close relationship.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 6:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My mom passed away a little over 4 yrs ago. There were a lot of unresolved issues that can never be finished. Things happened when I was a teenager that I'm convinced made her change the way she felt about me. I know they changed the way she treated me my whole life.
    The worst thing is there are days when I'm almost glad she's gone so I don't have to listen to her go on about the way I live my life. I can't tell either of my sisters because I don't think they'd understand, they never knew the things she'd say to me. Or the fact that she obviously cared for them more then me.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My mother can make me mental like nobody else. I love her but I want to shake her and tell her to get over it sometimes. She can hold a grudge forever and there have been times that I have stopped communicating much more than a greeting. She enables my sister who is one of those people who makes up illnesses and symptoms to get attention and has been through every invasive medical test known to man. My mother plays into it like an idiot and it drives me nuts that she lets my sister carry on and worries about her constantly FOR NO REASON. Argh. The test results are always negative because they are looking in the wrong place. The problem is in her head and my mother won't accept that. She says I am mean for feeling this way, I say it's common friggin sense.

Oops vent over sorry.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• My mom and I get along really well. She's there for me when I need, but doesn't try to tell me how to do things or that I'm not doing things correctly. My MIL on the other hand is full of crticism and corrects nearly everything I do - only she's hardly ever right, if she "fixes" something you better be ready to "fix" it back.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2010