What do you teach your toddler girl to call her "private part"?

She is at a stage where she points to every part of her body and wanting me to say what that part is over and over again. Like eye,nose,belly..and now she is pointing "down there" lol.
I said the first thing that came to mind and that was "butterfly"
Thats what my grandma used to call it...boys have "flies" and girls have "butterflies" lol.
I just hope she doesnt get confused when we go outside and see a REAL butterfly! LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a whooha. yeah really. :)
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• a vagina

Answer by missanc at 5:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• my dd calls her a nana. but they should know the proper name for it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• lol...well like you, maybe she will understand eventually that it really isnt a butterfly but that is what you called it.

im all for teaching my kids what the actual name of there private parts are. not a coochie, or pussy or any of the other names they come up with for a girl but an actual vagina. and i also point out that "saying vagina out in public is a no no."
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• When my girls were small we use to call it their topo gigo.

Answer by older at 5:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Vulva... If she prefers to call it other things that's fine, but we would teach the real words...

My boys call their penises "dongs" because they though it was funny... But they both know the real word.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• she calls it a peepee when she gets older i tell her the oroper the name but peepee is fine to me
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 5:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I called it the real names. Vagina, breasts. Boys penis testicles.

Answer by louise2 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• We called it a Vagina, but she couldn't say that so it's her "gina".
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 5:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Why would you ever teach it by the wrong name? We don't call our elbows or legs stupid names. if you think her vagina/vulva area is considered a "dirty area" or "dirty word" then she's going to think that too. She's going to be especially confused when you start "catching butterflies" or "look at the pretty butterfly" especially when some pedophile wants to see her butterfly. Suppose she starts telling her teacher about being abused and tells her that her uncle or a neighbor plays with her butterfly or tells a nurse that her butterfly hurts; they'll have know idea.
    Grow up.
    Anonymous