Panties or Pull-up on a long car trip?

If you were taking your child who was in the process of potty training on a long car trip where there will be very few places to stop, would you put them in undies and pray for the best, or would you put them in a Pull-up and resume training in undies when you got back home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Whenever we go on long trips we take her in pulls up. But have her tell to think of those like panties. So tell us when she has to pee. If you are worried about them regressing. You could have her wear panties and bring a potty for the side of the road.
    Anonymous

• Pull ups.
    Anonymous

• id put her in pull ups. that worked just fine for our dd. she only had maybe 2 accidents on our trip but i was sure glad i didnt have to clean up pee out of the carseat.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• panties and a towel under her butt once we are good about some amount of warning- more than 30 seconds-lol. I packed a potty for trips with few stopping areas..
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I know when we first started with my dd we would put her in pull ups but she would have undies on top. Made her think she was only in the undies and she still needed to tell us she needed to go. It worked great, and if she did go to the potty it was no big deal. And, we werent mad since we knew we would be in the car for a long time..and cant stop anytime she has to go. So that is an idea for you! And, when you get where ever you are going you can always take the pull up off without even taking the undies all they off. :) Good luck.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• pull ups
    Anonymous

• Can they tell you when they need to potty? If so then I would take them in undies if not then I would take them in pullups, but take them to the potty at rest stops or when you stop at the store or whatever. Because if they fall asleep most kids can't hold it so it would be better to probably put them in pullups incase they fall asleep and have an accident
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Unless you're already in the habit of switching between pull-ups and undies, I would do undies. You can cover the seat with plastic (like even a plastic grocery bag) and then a towel over that. Bring the portable potty chair with you so you can just pull over and have her try periodically without having to go inside and get the gas station key. It sounds like a hassle, and it sort of is, but not in comparison with having to START ALL OVER again which is the risk that you run. Obviously this depends on where you are in the process, too... but if you've been in undies for awhile now, I would really, really avoid pull-ups. I'm on the potty training moms group on Cafe Mom and all the time there are posts that begin "We were doing really well until this car trip we took..." -- you can imagine the rest.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• We did panties/underwear and traveled with a potty in the back of the vehicle.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I would use the Pull Ups but make sure that my child knows to tell me if he has to use the bathroom because maybe we could find some place to pull over just in case.
    Trajik003

Answer by Trajik003 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2010