Do you make homemade bread?

If you do, what is your favorite recipe? I have only two that I found that I really like, one is a great Amish White Bread that also makes yummy cinnamon rolls, and the other is a really good French Roll recipe. I am looking for more, to make for my hubby when he comes home next month since he loves fresh breads of all kinds. If anyone wants to share recipes it's greatly appreciated!

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 5:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• This is my all time favorite recipe for bread
    1 1/4 cups skim milk
    1/3 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
    1/4-1/3 cup sugar (I use a 1/4 cup measure)
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I have never found the need to use bread flour these rise beautifully)
    2 1/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
    Put in bread machine on dough cycle, form into whatever shape you want (buns, french bread, rolls), let rise again in warm oven for 20 minutes, bake at 375 until light brown
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 8:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I do every so often. My mother gave me a breadmaker a couple years ago so I use it sometimes, my oldest(6)son loves to help.

My favorite bread recipe(havent tried it with the breadmaker yet tho)is Finnish Sweet Bread. My mom had the recipe and we used to make it all the time growing up.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• http://www.bread-maker.net/Bread-maker/bread-recipes2/Garlic-Bread.htm

My Husband LOVES this bread :)
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 6:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• BEER BREAD!!!

1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
    3 cups self-rising flour
    3 tablespoons white sugar

9 x 5 inch greased loaf pan at 350º for 50 or 60 minutes.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Oh yeah, my Papa makes the Amish Friendship Bread...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-Friendship-Bread-I/Detail.aspx

and adds a box of pudding, any flavor you want... takes 10 days to start, but you can take some of the batter from the loaf you make to save for the starter in a new loaf!!! And it is NOT the same without the starter.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I just recently started getting back into making bread. We got a bread machine years ago and used it quite a lot at first, then the novelty wore off. My husband uses it all the time to make his famous homemade pizza dough but we hadn't used it for bread in years. I've made 2 loaves of bread in the past week, and now I remember how easy it is, how good it smells when it's baking, and how much better it tastes than store bought bread. I found a ton of recipes on www.allrecipes.com
    I made a cheddar cheese bread the other day to eat with our spaghetti, and it was a huge hit!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 6:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't have a bread machine, so these are not machine recipes. I use these two recipes as our basic everyday breads (I don't buy bread):

http://www.edining.ca/1668/recipes/Homemade_Brown_Bread

http://www.cookingbread.com/whole_wheat_bread.html
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• JeanetteRene, do you have to use skim milk or can I use 2%?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I'm with the beer bread too!! I make it the same way but I add a can of Mt dew instead of the beer goes great with tastefully simple dips
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• They all sound good, can't wait to try them!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2010