Should I avoid dryer sheets since my son chews on his clothes?

My 7 yr old son chews on his clothes constantly so I started to wonder if maybe I should stop using dryer sheets and start using only liquid fabric softener? Since they say there are all sorts of chemicals in these sheets. Is is better to use the liquid or is that just as bad? Does anyone know any brands that are safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• liquid is just as bad. look into natural softner. Like white viniger(u can put it right in your downy ball). Another option is those dryer balls. I bought them at target, they look like blue plastic balls w/ nubs. I have also seen them made out of wool, heard of making your own w/ tin foil. Another option 2 tennis balls.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Good thinking. My son suffers from allergies and the doctor has recommended to stop using these sheets.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't use either, as they both leave chemicals in your clothes. Try using white vinegar instead, as a pp mentioned. I use it and a few tennis balls in my dryer to fluff & soften the clothes. You can also buy dryer balls, but tennis balls are cheaper and work just as well.

As a side note, sometimes kids who chew clothes do it b/c of anxiety issues and sometimes they do it b/c of sensory issues. With either, sometimes if you give the child something more acceptable to chew on (like a Chewy Tube), it saves their clothes from being destroyed. An OT can also help if it is a sensory need.
    Anonymous