my 9 year old daughter is over weight.

I have taken her to a nutritionist but it didn't seem to work for me. They told me a bunch of stuff that I already knew. She is playing soft ball and she loves it. I try to get her to play the wii fit and she does that too. She just seems to want to eat all the time. She loves carbs, pasta, rice, bread..... should I cut out the rice? We do the brown rice too and she likes that. We make her lunch and ususally it 's a sandwich. As far as sweets, we don't buy any unless we are having company, and the same applies for soda. I have a sister that grew up just like her and my sister now 40 has had to have gastric by pass surgery. I saw my sister grow up with the teasing. I don't want that for my daughter. even the nutritionist told us that she seems to eat good but it's the quantity. She ALWAYS wants seconds.

LOVEMY2KIDS71

Asked by LOVEMY2KIDS71 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Good grief that's all carbs. They lower serotonin which makes a person think they are still hungry so they keep eating. Fill her with veggies and protein and lower the carbs. Get a balance of it all. She has to exercise every day, not just one or two days a week playing ball not to mention softball is seasonal.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the pp - reduce carbs, increase protein (protein keeps you fuller longer). For snacks, make sure when she has them that each one includes protein and a small amount of carbs - good choices: 1/2 peanut butter sandwich (reduced fat peanut butter), apple with peanut butter, yogurt, sugar free pudding, kids frosty from wendy (the KID size, not a small). I can get you some others if you're interested, but those are the types of things I usually reach for in a pinch.
    With summer coming up, swimming is a great exercise that burns tons of calories!

Answer by missanc at 6:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Ok. Thanks for the brutal honesty. I really need to hear that. I will definately cut out the rice and of course carbs. But as far as bread for her lunch, is that still ok. The only veggies she will eat are carrots and broccoli(sometimes). i will get her play outside everyday. can you give me some examples of the proteins?
    LOVEMY2KIDS71

Answer by LOVEMY2KIDS71 at 6:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• 5-2-1-0  

This is the new mantra of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

At least 5 fruits/veggies per day 

No more than 2 hours of screen time/ day (screen= computer/tv/game system)

At least 1 hour moderate exercise a day (Wii if no softball that day)

0 sugary drinks, including soda/ juice. (1% or skim milk at meals and water the rest of the time)

Good luck and hugs to your daughter!!!

kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• besides the above suggestions, drink more water and lead by example!

Start & end each day and each meal with water - if you aren't water drinkers, then start with a 4 oz glass and work up to an 8 oz glass.

Minimize the rice, pasta, potatoes and bread. You could do her lunch w/ healthy choices of breads rather than just white bread.
    Healthy breakfast, like oatmeal or whole grain cereal or toast w/ peanut butter or banana.

Healthy snacks - trail mix, olives, granola, yogurt

Breakfast
    AM Snack
    Lunch
    PM Snack
    Dinner

You all could workout together on the days she doesn't have an activity .. ride bikes, go for a walk, go hiking, play tennis, throw a ball, trampoline, even dancing. Just make it fun for her.

Also when you cook, bake, broil and grill meats - if you introduce veggies a little at a time, she may learn to like them. Tell her she has to try it at least once - her
    TeamJacobsCoach

Answer by TeamJacobsCoach at 6:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Don't cut out the rice, just make sure it is whole grain. Switch to whole grain pasta and cut it down a little. Try adding some diced tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, etc to spaghetti sauce to add more veges. If she like the carbs mix them with healthy options. Make chicken Parmesan with fresh chicken breast, 1% cheese, and whole wheat pasta. Make sure her sandwiches are made with whole grain bread and light mayo. You can make salads with fresh chicken breast. Here is a yummy healthy lasagna recipe:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/portobello-lasagna-rollups-recipe/index.html

Also try this site- it lets you choose the main ingredient, meal type, etc and gives you recipes that match your preferences.
    http://www.shape.com/healthy_eating/recipes?gclid=COne64WAnqECFZdc2god7jHzxQ

Good luck!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 7:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Make sure not to fully cut out the carbs, they are important for bone growth. Just reduce and choose wisely.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 7:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Make this a family lifestyle change. Start with a family walk after dinner and a a family bike ride on weekends.
    Water should be the main beverage, 8 ounces a day
    7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables in at least three different colors evey day
    Eliminate all simple/white grains (white pasta, white rice, etc.). 5-6 servings of whole grains a day (quinoa, brown rice, whole grain pasta, whole grain tortillas, etc).
    At least two servings of legumes a day (beans, lentils, tofu, etc.)
    Cut way back on, or eliminate meat and dairy.
    Read packages to determine true serving sizes

Send me a message offlist if you need any recipes or meal ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• yes cut back on carbs. Thats my problem most carbs turn to sugar which raises your blood insulin levels the higher they go the more hungry you become. If your interested look at the slimkids program online. Its a "diet" plan for kids and teens but not a diet. I was always told kids don't need diets. Good luck and I wish you and your daughter the best.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• She needs carbs for her brain. 2 servings of carbs in the morning = 1 cup steal cut oats-measured after cooking, made with skim milk-and 1/2 cup berries , 2 servings of carbs at lunch,= 2 slices of whole grain bread for her sandwich and 2 oz lean protein-a fresh fruit and lots of cut up vegetables, 1 carb serving at supper with 2 oz of lean protein and a salad or vegetables= 1/2 cup brown rice. Drink warm water if you aren't liking cold water. No juice-too much sugar and high calories. Cheese strings, fruit and veggies for snacks. GL
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:25 PM on Apr. 25, 2010