How will I know when it is truly time to go to the hospital?

My contractions don't hurt at all and sometimes I don't even notice I'm having them until somebody points it out. Everybody say's that I'll know for sure when it's time but I'm doubtful.

shandram19

Asked by shandram19 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you probably really will. they will come fast and hard. braxton hicks are not nearly as intense as real labor contractions.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• not so sure....my friend has a high pain tolerance so she can't feel contractions she said with her last she went to the hospital and she was in labor and didn't even know it. So you might have a high pain tolarence
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• i got twing in my back then i had diahhria and i started having regular contrction thats how i knew
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Pssh i dont know either... Iv been having contractions every 2-3mins for a week now and went to the hospital twice just to be sent home. I guess when your hunched over and feel like ripping your hubbys head off means its time to go?
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 6:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It is rare for people to not know or to not make it in time, that's why it makes the news when someone has their baby in the car! Your doctor should tell you when she wants you to come to the hospital.

I didn't want to go until close to time for the baby to be born because I didn't want any interventions any way - no IVs, monitors, epidurals, ect.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• you will most definitely know when it is time. i am usually okay with pain ... i went to hospital for braxton hicks and got nervous b/c even thought they were tolerable, i still went b/c i didn't know what to expect. but when it was REAL labor pains, that stuff woke me out of a dead good sleep and was VERY painful .... you will definitely know.... you can have braxton hicks and not really notice too much...
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 6:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• The biggest difference I noticed was the location of the pain. Braxton hicks were all over my stomach, and labor contractions were much more pelvic.

Anyone else the same? I'm sort of counting on that to recognize when it's time to go in with this, my 2nd, pregnancy.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 7:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• You will know when labor starts, trust me. Your stomach will tighten with every contraction, that's how you know. Unless it is back labor, then I am not sure, how they knew. I think the pain was so bad they knew.
    When the contractions are every 3 mins then you know it is labor. If you change your position in bed, walk, take a shower and drink a glass of water and their are still contractions then you know it really is labor. When the contractions are 3 mins apart then you need to head to the hospital, or if your water breaks. With my 1st my water broke before I started contracting and I barely made it to the hospital, she came so fast.. Good luck and Congratulations!
    Right now you are probably feeling braxton hicks contractions.
    Anonymous

• You will know. I was the same way with DS. I went to L&D 2 times because I thought I was in labor but it was nothing. When I actually started labor I knew. It hurt! Now that Im pregnant with DD I know what a real contraction is and what a braxton hick is. If they start off not so pain full and work there way up to where they are horribly painful and then work their way back down thats a contraction.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 7:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• You will know. With my last baby I went four times (was induced with my first so flying blind with the second) with false alarm contractions. I finally knew it was time when NOTHING made them better. My MIL's rule of thumb is lay down on your left side sipping a glass of water for 30 minutes, if they do not subsisde/get worse then go in. I just kind of knew that I could not take it anymore, they pain had totally changed from the braxton hicks, and there was nothing I could do at all to get comfortable. It did take me almost 5 hours to decide that and it only took another 1.5 from the time i got to the hospital for her to be born!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2010