On Monday my son will have a Speech Evaluation What should I expect?

What should I say or do? My son is 24 months and only says 3 words but points to his nose, his ears, etc. Dances, and Loves the playground, has a beautiful smile. I'm so nervous.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry to much. They will just ask him questions, usually in the form of play. My son had alot of fun at his and did not want to leave. Did they already to a hearing evaluation? that was the part that my son did not like.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Did they already to a hearing evaluation?

No. I will be asking. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Anonymous

• They went over a sheet on what he could do to my son, pointing to parts of the body, letter sounds, etc. They asked me a lot more questions on how he did things at home. What he was doing, dressing or not, labeling everyday items. They will probably set up a hearing evaluation.
    Anonymous

• Just keep in mind that this type of evaluation is similar to IEP's that they can have at school. You have the right to know and understand all aspects of the testing, as well as suggesting any additional testing, getting your questions answered, etc. It's just something to have in mind because it is a typical problem. I have dealt with many parents who have left their evaluations not understanding anything that took place, nor the results when they meet with the specialist. Do yourself a favor and ask all questions that come to mind. With IEP's, and evaluations, they are actually required by law to keep you informed. Best wishes, and don't worry... it is typically a VERY laidback setting, and the kids usually enjoy themselves. *Hugs*
    mommamercer929

Answer by mommamercer929 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Thank you to all the posters. OP
    Anonymous

• Dont worry, I am a teacher and have had a dd in speech for 3 years now ;) They are there to help you and realize that you are new to this. They are all teachers and teachers are usually very helpful! They are usually laidback and will probably want to watch him play and try to talk with him by getting him to name things. They will also ask you questions about his speech and also talk with you about concerns.

No worries. Glad you are getting him help so young! The younger the better!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2010