Reflux as an infant..low weight gain now

my son had a form of reflux as an infant and that passed around a year old. now he is 20 months old and ever since he was born has slowly gained weight. been under the 5th percentile but gains a little weight each time we go to the dr. he is 20 months old and 21 lbs but eats all the time and not too picky. He is also very active too. He hits all his milestones early too. does anyone know if an infant has reflux as a baby if low weight is an aftermath of that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your baby is just a lot more active now. Every child is different, some will gain more quickly than others. I had 2 severe refluxers whose reflux resolved between 12 & 18 months. They actually gained better because they were able to keep more down and consume dairy products. My non-reflux baby was 8 lbs at birth and only 16.5 at a year. She was under the 5th percentile until the 1st grade. And all of a sudden she started gaining weight - from 7-8 she gained 11 lbs! and from 8-10 she gained 25!! and is now in the 80th percentile.

So, more than likely he is just small and active. One always hears about the big babies, but no one really says much about the other end of the spectrum. If your ped isn't worried, I wouldn't be either.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• You can expect your baby to stay along the same percentile as a toddler. You want to continue to be careful about reflux as your child may always have a tendency to get it. It can cause a sore throat or breathing problems.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I'm not sure. My older 2 had reflux, although I'm not sure that it's what caused them to gain slowly. All of children have gained weight well the first few months then gained slowly after that. My older son dropped down to about the 10th percentile by a year old but after that he gained weight fast and jumped up to the 50th percentile by 18 months old, where he has stayed. My daughter was 16 lbs at 1 year (8 lbs at birth) but continued to stay small, she is now 2 1/2 and 23 lbs. So I don't think it effects them as they get older, I think my son was genetically average sized and caught up, and my daughter is genetically small and so she has stayed small. Now I'm curious what baby #3 will do.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• It's normal relax :) That percentile thing is horse pucky.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2010