Why the inconsistency?

People are losing their damn minds protesting the facebook joke/prayer/whichever about losing their favorite actress Farrah Fawcett, their favorite singer, MJ, etc.

Why are these same people not upset about the identical facebook joke/prayer/whichever calling for the death of the republican NJ governor? If it's so horrible and serious when it's about Obama, why is it suddenly just a joke when it's about someone they didn't vote for? (there's also one about Ahmadinejad, apparently wishing for his death is perfectly ok, too, because he doesn't have family that would be upset like Obama's family would).

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That's because they don;t know anything about "boring" politics. But they can tell you their favorite entertainer's shoe size, childhood nickname, likes and dislikes! It's sad.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Probably because more people know about MJ and FF than the Gov of NJ. I couldn't identify all 50 Govs in a line up. I know absolutely nothing about this person or the pranks/jokes/issue that you are addressing in this ? Guess I'm an under-informed American on this issue.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I know absolutely nothing about this person or the pranks/jokes/issue that you are addressing in this ? Guess I'm an under-informed American on this issue.

In a nutshell, the "joke" is written exactly like this, the only thing that changes is the name at the end. People are protesting the Obama version but not the Christie or Ahmadinejad versions:
    DEAR LORD, THIS YEAR YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTOR, PATRICK SWAYZIE. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTRESS, FARAH FAWCETT. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE SINGER, MICHAEL JACKSON. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW, MY FAVORITE PRESIDENT IS BARACK OBAMA. AMEN
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Thanks NP- I still think it's about name recognition (or lack there-of).

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't do FB. But I have heard about the supposed joke against the Gov of NJ. IMO it was NOT meant as a joke. But to answer the question, well, partly name recognition, as the others said. But there is also a double standard at work. It is absolutely serious when it is directed against O, let's call out the dogs, throw the vile people in jail, etc etc etc. Now, directed towards a R Gov who is making cuts against the unions, well now, we can't have that! So, when found out in a childish fit of anger, they try to pass it off as a joke. Sad and pathetic that grown people can be so childish.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• LOL I had it on my FB.. It's a freaking joke. Libs have sticks stuck too far into theiir bottoms.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Just another example of the hypocritical left.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Screw those people!

Let them pay for it them damned selves!

He's interfering with their social justice, so kill him!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Double standard, we all know it, the right is wrong and the left is right and free to do whatever they want...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• They are equally deplorable. I would assume the one about the NJ governor isn't getting as much attention because he's a state level official, not the president.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2010