Homeschooling.. curriculum?

If one chose to homeschool, is there a way to get the curriculum to use as a guide for the school year? And what about the books, like they use in public schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It all depends on your location and state laws. First find out what your state laws are. You can find them by visiting your state department of education site or by visiting HSLDA's site. Some states have FREE programs like K12.com.  There in some areas even charter schools you can join, but do it from home. It just depends.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• You need to find out from your school system. When we were homeschooling, the college where I was attending grad school had all the textbooks for the whole state.

There are so many choices for homeschooling families now. One of the best advantages of homeschooling is that you can work at your child's pace. That would mean a school's curriculum wouldn't be much help because grade levels become meaningless.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Try your State Board of Education website. Some states have standards that you "have to" follow. There are organizations for homeschoolers, try to google them. I understand some re-sell or trade the text books.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• OP here - The reason I'm asking is my oldest son is... special. I would want to be able to teach him the same things others are learning in school so he doesn't miss out on an education, but without the ridicule that is sure to come as he gets older. He already gets picked on bc some older kids saw him give me hugs and kisses in the car line last week and now he wont do it again unless no one is there to see it. His maturity level was that of a 3 1/2 - 4 y/o not a few months ago, and he's finally making good progress, but I know how mean kids can be with him having resource, OT, spch therapy and a full time shadow.
    Anonymous

• OP - you should join Happy Homeschoolers here on cafemom. You will get great info and support there.
    Anonymous

• There are of course religious materials. However not everything is religious, but sometimes it's HARDER to find the non religious materials. Some bloggers like myself keep a list of resources on their blogs. (some of it's religious; some of it's is NOT; some of it's FREE; some of it's NOT). As other have said I would also check out the some of the homeschooling groups here on CM.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I prefer to choose my own curriculum/ plans and not do what the school is doing. my kids will be 4 & 6 this fall, and I plan on beginning homeschool with Five in a row books. Hope this helps : )

Danielle
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• I use the state standards to go by, but in our state that is not required. Find out your state's laws before you purchase anything. A good place to get used books (at least in our area) are thrift shops and resale shops. You can also find them on ebay. We have found that even following the state standards there is a lot of down time and I let my girls help pick what they want to learn about. Right now we are loving lapbooking and there are a lot of free ones on the Homschool Share website (just google it). Also, complete sets can be really expensive and once you get them you are stuck. Try visiting a homeschool expo before you buy if you want a complete set so you can look it over. If you can't find one near you, maybe you can find a homeschool family that will let you borrow a book or two to look through.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2010