For moms of Autistic children...

Did they still have those gas smiles as infants?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son has autism, but he was never joyless. he was always happy and smiling, even when it was just gas lol! Not smiling is a red flag for autism, but it certainly isn't an automatic diagnoses. Autism is different in every person. Not smiling in infancy is common among people with autism, but that doesn't mean everyone with autism had this symptom, or every one with this symptom has autism.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 7:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My dd has always smiled. From gas or just to smile...she is the prettiest little girl ever when she smiles too...( maybe just a bit biased)

But I do know that more severe kids lack emotion. Some more than others...bestmommy is right...each one is soooo different.
    Anonymous

• OP- I am just being paranoid I hope. She is 4 months old and still nothing,
    Anonymous

• She has not smiled ever? You are probably being paranoid..she is still super young.
    Anonymous

• I found this for you. I would keep it in the back of your mind mom, but dont let the worry take you over...know what I mean. I have done that before ;)

You're certainly right to think of your baby's smile as a barometer of how she's feeling about herself and the world. But 7 weeks old is too soon to worry if a baby hasn't broken out in a grin yet. The first social smile may appear as early as 6 weeks, but it's unlikely to be a regular feature for quite a while. Generally, babies smile readily by 12 weeks, and by 6 months most smile ecstatically at the people they know best.

In the highly unlikely event that your baby doesn't smile by 3 months old, consult your baby's doctor to see whether there's a biological reason. Most babies this age — unless they're ill or overtired — will flash grins, especially in familiar settings with people and toys they know.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Yes - and my child with autism is generally much happier than his siblings. He has a great sense of humor and thinks he is very funny, he's always laughing about something!

Answer by missanc at 8:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Oh yes all of mine smiled. I have three on the spectrum. The baby recently dx'ed so I haven't changed my screen name. I wouldn't be concerned about smiling, but poor joint attention would be a red flag.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2010