my daughter's friend ran away to my house while I'm at work, what do I do?

I have never been put in this situation before. Do I keep her daughter safe at my house? Do I make her go home? Do I call her parents & let them know she is at my house??
Please Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• keep her there a little while and try to find out the real reason she ran away. after you find out then take action.
    Anonymous

• talk to her and try to understandthe reasons for her running away. but you could get introuble if you keep her at your house. In the end you will need to call her parents or the authorities and tell them were she. If it were your daughter, you would want to know that she was safe... so thats something to concider as well.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I agree..talk to her , have her explain why she ran away. If its anything about any sort of abuse..contact the authorities. If you keep her, you can get in trouble for kidnapping if the parents decide to press charges against you if they find out where she is at. If its just typical teenage stuff she ran away for...like she got mad at her parents because shes not allowed to go to a party or something, give her parents a call so they arent worried to death about her. Good Luck!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Either call her parents or the cops. Don't let her stay and don't give her money.
    Anonymous

• i would say, call her parents and let them know she is with you, ask them if she can stay the night. hopefully they will say ok, and this will give every one cool off time. i would only not call if you truly believe that she may be in physical danger. be smart when listening to her, sometimes kids don't tell the whole truth!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Definitely call her parents, imagine how worried you would be if your child ran away and didn't know where she was....and then to find out later another adult knew and didn't inform you. I agree with happy2bmom, see if she can stay the night, talk to her, and definitley understand that kid's perspective on things are quite skewed...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• : kimberlyinberea
    I think she said it the best. I agree...be friendly, and tell her you're not mad at her, you're just worried and want to know what's going on. Let her know she is safe and make sure she doesn't think you're mad....then tell her she can talk to you about anything, and ask her what's going on, what she's feeling, and why she felt she needed to run away from her home....and I agree that if she's being abused, call the police....and if it's just something silly, and she's just stressed out, I would say call her parents, let them know where she is, and tell them you don't mind (if you don't mind lol) that she stay there for the night, or until she calms down. That's what I would do.
    Anonymous

• If you let her stay you can get into trouble for harboring a runaway. If you are worried she may have been abused and that's why she ran away then call the cops. You can talk to her as the police are coming.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 9:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Find out why she ran away and then call her parents or the police. There has to be a reason she ran away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Call her parents so they know where she is. Why did she run away?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2010