Should I throw a 25th anniversary party for my parents?

I have had some issues with my parents, but we are doing ok right now. This year they will be married 25 years. (I am 27, they are only 46). My mom always talked about having an anniversary party for her 25th and I was given the impression that the kids throw it for the parents.
I'm not sure if I should or not. Also, if I do it, do I have to invite my mom's sisters? I had a falling out with them (and my parents) about 5 yrs ago, my parents and I worked things out, but I never did with them and don't intend to. I cannot spend hours with them, if they were to come, I would have to take my kids and fiance and leave.

TJandKarasMom

Asked by TJandKarasMom at 7:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it would be a nice gesture to throw the party if you are financially able to. As for your moms sister, if your mom and her are ok, than I think you should invite and try to be civil for your parents sake.
    Anonymous

• you should throw them one. and you cant even be civil with these people for a few hours for your parents sake?
    Anonymous

• *I* can be civil, but not if I have to listen to them bashing my DF and our family, which is all they do when they see my mom.

And I know my parents are important people in my life, but we have kind of a strained relationship. I feel that I would like to do something nice for THEM, but I am not going to put my family through the crap of my aunts for my parents. I hope that makes sense. There is a lot of background to this story but basically, I have a son, DF has a daughter, when we decided to move in together, my parents were against it. In turn, my mom's sisters stuck their noses in my business and let me know what they think. They stopped talking to me bc I made the decision I felt was right. Just to be clear, there is nothing 'wrong' with my DF, he doesn't hurt me, he takes care of his family, we are happy. My parents have accepted that, but the aunts have not-and they aren't quiet about it.
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 8:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think you, your kids and your fiancee should just take them out for a nice dinner.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• If you can afford it, send them on a cruise instead. If not, get together with just your siblings and your parents for a "just us" gathering...
    Anonymous

• I like Anon 8:53's idea about the cruise. It'd be a nice thing for them (assuming that they don't take one every year like my DH's grandparents used to), and it would keep the family drama to a minimum.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I can't afford much, and there is no way either of them would take a cruise or a trip of any kind (that gets me off the hook for some big gift, lol)

I am thinking now maybe I will just do a bbq with my family, my parents best friend (who is basically like a 2nd dad to me, kind of weird actually), and my brother and his gf (enough drama right there, lol). I can still do some decorations and get a cake, get some good steak and make some sides. Make it a little more fun than just a regular afternoon, but keep it simple (get the guys to do some fireworks that night, maybe make them a scrapbook of their wedding and their life together.) I'm liking this idea more and more. Maybe have a huge party for their 50th, lol, that gives me 25 more years :)
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 9:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think that your idea sounds wonderful. My parents were so upset that we didn't have a party for their 25th, little did they know that we were planning a party we just had it a couple of months late. Their anniversary is actually tomorrow, so for the 25th we waited a couple months and had a party at a park when the weather was warm. Tomorrow is now their 39th anniversary.
    Anonymous

• I have 2 sisters and we had one for my folks on their 25th. They're at 47 now I think so it was a whiiile ago. I would say if you are throwing the party then you get to say who is invited. Do your parents have contact with these sisters? What happened that you are so angry at them?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2010