Scouts must pay $18.5 million in abuse case. Thought?

I just saw it as breaking news on MSNBC site.

PORTLAND, Ore. - A jury on Friday ordered the Boy Scouts of America to pay $18.5 million to an Oregon man sexually abused by a former assistant Scoutmaster in the early 1980s.

Personally, I haven't supported any scout type programs since learning of their sexual abuse issue(s) and that they are anti-gay. With that said, I am glad that Kerry Lewis won, however, I think the amount of money is way out there. Actually, I don't think any amount of money will ever do. That man's innocence was stolen from him, and that is priceless. I do think BSoA should pay for any all legal fees, therapy costs, and anything else related in those terms; and of course, the victim fund.
IMO, BSoA should be shut down for what they have done and allowed to happen.
Link in reply below.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 8:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• THAT much for ONE person???? Ridiculous, hope they appeal.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think it is too much for one person as well. This is one of the problems we have..such crazy amounts in lawsuits. Nothing should be more than what your expected life's worth could/should be imo.

My boys don't participate in scouts, but I know kids that do. I have a couple of friends that are Den Mother's or something?! :) It would be unfair to paint them all with the same brush. The scouts have done many many worthwhile things and many have benefitted from their participation. Should we shut down schools because some teachers have abused kids? Maybe we should take all kids from their parents because some parents abuse. Let's not leave out the churches either or the parents of the kid next door. Shutting them down is just silly.

I support their stance on gays. They are a faith based organization. You cannot force them to accept gays without trampling their first amendment rights.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• that is a lot of money. it may just shut down the scouts. personaly i suport scouts. it is a good program for boys. it is stupid that they are anti gay though. i dont get that.
    Anonymous

• Good. Don't do the crime-

Also, an IL man who (along with 200 other young men) was abused by a Catholic Priest for years, while attending the St John's Catholic School for DEAF in WI, has dropped a suit on the Vatican and the Pope (who allegedly had some culpability in the handling of the matter.)

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I think it's good.
    Anonymous

• Now, remind me why BSA doesn't want gays in the position of leadership? My son is a scout. He is very close to having his Eagle. This award will severely alter the quality of the program he receives because of this.
    Anonymous

• Why is the WHOLE organization held responsible? Why not the man responsible and maybe the chapter he was part of? That is what I don't understand...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• "Why is the WHOLE organization held responsible?"

If I recall from the article I read a couple of weeks ago, the organization was fully aware that the asst. scoutmaster was molesting or had molested children in the past and was still allowing him to work with them. If I am remembering it correctly, and that is true, then I fully agree they should be held responsible, as well as the man who actually did it.

However, I do feel the amount of money is outrageous. But I think that's true in most lawsuits. There are some lawsuits where I feel an outrageous amount of money is justified, but it seems that everyone just wants a ton of money for every little thing that happens. This was a biggie, I agree, but I think 18 million is too much. I doubt he'd make that in his lifetime, so why should he get that over this? It's a horrible, tragic thing but 18 million won't make that go away or make it any better.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• First thing that popped into my head?
    How much did the Catholic Church have to pay then?
    All the money in the world isn't going to heal those emotional wounds though.
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2010