is your 7 yr. old emotional?

My daughter just turned 7. But it seems that for the past year now she has been very emotional over the tiniest things. Any time she gets in trouble she breaks down crying, saying we don't love her and no one likes her. Obviously my husband and I reassure her, but its getting to be a little over dramatic. Earlier we simply told her to not parade around in her underwear, that she needed to have a shirt on in the least. We didn't yell, didn't scold or degrade her for being in her underwear only. But she breaks down crying like its the end of the world. Is she too emotional? Or is this her wanting attention? My husband is getting tired of her crying spells over "spilled milk" so to speak. I don't know what

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes it's almost too much drama. She's got to have all the attention.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she's being manipulative? She doesn't get to do what she wants and starts crying to make you feel guilty? Maybe something like "Go to your room and do as we ask, and when you're done crying you may come out," will work to show her she's not going to get her way AND not going to get attention from crying.
    Anonymous

• Is she eating and sleeping well? My child gets like that when he is allowed to stay up too late too often, or if he isn't eating healthy. or there may be something else going on....I wouldn't be too quick to say she is just being dramatic....
    Anonymous

• I agree with prev poster. My son is seven and when he hasn't been sleeping well he can be like this. He gets overly emotional and over reacts to things.

nautired

Answer by nautired at 9:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Both my two older daughters do that too. 5 and 6. I really hate how my six year old cries every time her grandma has to leave, even if she's been with her all week.. she'll cry " Don't go, stay here, live here" it drives me friggin' nuts. and My 5 year old, omg. she cries about EVERYTHING.. And neither of them stay up late, and the 5 year old even sleeps in cuz shes not in school till this next school year.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 9:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• When my 7yo son hasn't slept well, something little can nearly send him to tears. Otherwise he will get more aggrivated or say something like "it feels like you don't love me when you get me in trouble" when all I've done is told him what he did wrong, and why it was wrong. As long as she is getting enough sleep then it could very well be an attention thing. The next time she responds like that, tell her that there is no reason to get that upset over what you said but if she's going to act like that over something little then maybe she needs to be in her room.... or laying down in bed... etc. Tell her she can come back when she starts acting like the big girl she is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Mini drama queen, we have one too. Very annoying, I feel your pain.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• my oldes is six... and everything is a dramatic event........ it can get very frustrating.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• She sounds tired for one thing. DOn't give up! Be consistent (when A happens, then B occurs every single time!)
    as for the "you don't love me" bit, that is VERY manipulative, and wherever she heard it (tv, school) it needs to be nipped in the bud, put on the "we never ever say these things" list.

Hope this helps
    Danielle
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2010