I need a root canal!

I've never had many problems with my teeth and now I have my first two cavities and one has to have a root canal and fill. I'm very nervous. also i am 5 months preggers. did anyone have to get one done while preggers? does anyone know if medicaid covers it?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Health

• i live in ny btw
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• medicaid won't cover a root canal only an extraction. even most dental insurances don't cover a root canal. The root canal runs about $1000 and they need to make a cap which costs about $1000 more.
    Anonymous

• If you're younger than 21 Medicaid will cover a root canal - I know, I am a dental hygienist and have worked in a practice for year that tkes Medicaid.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I had one when I was pregnant. Tell the doctor you are pregnant because he'll be able to tell you if you can wait to have it done or if you can do it with a lower dose of Novocaine. They'll also want to do an x ray so make sure you let them know before they do that. My dental surgeon did the root canal but then my dentist wouldn't do the crown until after the baby was born so I ended up waiting too long and I had to have the tooth extracted!

Don't worry, it doesn't hurt like everyone says it does, it just takes a long time and it's uncomfortable keeping your mouth open while they do it (they stick this think in your mouth to keep it open and it's uncomfortable and it makes you drool a lot).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2010