Teething or sick?

My 1 year old is running a fever 101.5 (ear) and I can see two bottom teeth trying to push through the gums. Is this still a low grade fever in his ear or could it be worse? He never ran a fever with his first six teeth so I'm a little nervous.

CarleeDalene

Asked by CarleeDalene at 8:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I never experienced the fever with teething that so many people swear by... but in any case, a fever is not cause for alarm. Just ride it out... Could be a virus or any number of things. 101.5 isn't anything to worry about. You can give motrin if he seems uncomfortable, but even that isn't necessary.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• With a fever that high, there is an infection of some sort. In my experience, children that are teething don't usually run a fever over 99-100. If the fever persists, see a doctor.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• You never know. My best friend has 6 kids and swears that hers get high fevers during teething.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2010