How do you do bedtime for a 13 month old?

I have been having a horrible time getting my son to bed here lately. He used to always go to bed between 9-9:30 but recently he has been staying up really late, like 12-1ish. He usually only naps about an hour and a half each day. But he will fight his sleep until he absolutely can not stand to stay awake another minute and then he will go to sleep. I always try the bath and story time and that usually always goes well, but when I get up and turn the light off and try to get him to go to sleep on his own he screams and screams until I have to go get him. He also will not lay in bed with me either, he will kick and scream forever. I really need help with this. We both need to get sleep and I really don't know what else to do, any help would be greatly appreciated.

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is WAY to late for a 13 month old. He should be in bed by 7:30 the lastest. Kids that age need atleast 13 hours of sleep. He is probably over tired. Try bath, with lavendar soap (relaxes them) book, then some warm milk. Rock him a little till he falls asleep. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Let him cry until he falls asleep. That's what we did with my daughter. Then she learned to self soothe, and puts herself to sleep...sure we do bath time, and read a story....then if she wants to stay up and scream, or talk to herself, that's fine, but she does not get out of bed for any reason. And anon...it's NOT too late...my kids aged 2 1/2 and 10 months both always went to bed at 9:30 pm and slept until 9:30-10am. Now they go to bed at 8:30pm and wake up at 9:30am. And they are completey fine. Who says that a young child MUST be in bed by 7:30. That may work for YOU and other moms, but it doesn't always work for everyone else. We all have different schedules...don't tell someone they have to do something because YOU think it's right. So OP, don't listen to her. I say...try waking him up earlier in the morning, so he's tired sooner at night, or only letting him have an hour nap instead of 1 1/2 hrs. Good luck =)
    Anonymous

• well, my daughter had hr own schedule for months now. but i agree about the warm milk. and maybe just some soothing music and just some kind of routine. even though i don't have one and she is fine she kind of picked her own bed time. ofcourse there has been times she has been off her times and she is still fine. she naps two times a day and still goes to sleep at her time. does he use a pacifer? i would say either warm milk and music. just something to calm him every night. something he knows that its bed time. good luck. you will find what works for you.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I am so sorry! I know how frustrating that can be. First off...is he teething? My daughter's schedule/sleep routine got really messed up and I couldnt' figure it out until I realized her 4 molars were coming in at the same time! So a little tylenol/motrin before bed really helped. Second, we have a strict routine for bed. We read her favorite books, she says good night to everyone (me and daddy) and then I put her in her bed with her "kitty" (her lovie) and her seahorse (the one that glows and plays music) I tuck her in "snug as a bug" and she gets extra kisses. Then its good night. She also has the twilight turtle which puts stars on the ceiling....point is, she knows exactly what is going to happen every night. Most nights so goes to sleep without a whimper, some nights she cries, but we let her cry herself to sleep. I hope you get some rest!! Good luck!
    millijess

Answer by millijess at 12:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Sometimes they need different things. Mine is 15 months with a bedtime of around 7:30. Some nights he goes right to sleep, some nights he needs it to be pitch black, other nights he needs a little light in there. Something that worked for my oldest at that age, and that I've used with this one some is to play slow classical music for 30minutes to an hour before bedtime. Just something to help him wind down from his busy days. We never could do bathtime before bed... it winds my kids up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Forgot to add.... Our routine is new diaper, pj's, brush teeth, say goodnight to dad and big brother, say a prayer, sing a lullaby, lay in bed, go to sleep. If after I leave the room he starts fussing, I won't let him go on for more than 5 minutes depending on how upset he is. Then I go back say "shhhhhhh" lay him down and rub his back for a minute. Then leave again. I'll do this for however long he needs me too. Sometimes I never have to go back in there and other nights I'm in an out for an hour or more. I don't think there is anything wrong with going to a child that is upset and helping them calm down and relax. Personally, I'd rather my LO know that when he needs/wants me, even if it's for comfort, that I will be there rather than teaching him that I'm not coming and he's on his own. Especially since they chance so quickly, what didn't scare them yesterday (such as the dark, or being alone in it), might today.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 24, 2010