VBA-2-C (as in Vaginal birth after 2 caesarians)?

1st time I was hoping for natural birth -- result was 48 hours of unproductive hard labor followed by pitocin, 8 cm, then down to 6 cm (swelling shut), baby did not engage, yada yada. Baby was not big (6.5 lbs) and not breach or anything, so no one was sure why things didn't work out.
2nd baby was only 15 months later and I was worried about uterine rupture and with not being sure what didn't work the first time around, and some personal stress in my family (we moved to a new state 4 weeks before I was due and I had to find a new midwife or OB), so I elected for a second C.
So if my third baby is 2.5 years after that, can I/should I try for a VBAC?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I actually just read in Parents magazine I think it was that new studies have shown that the risk for uterine rupture isn't any higher after 2 C-sections than after 1. I would go for a VBAC personally. My biggest reason for choosing VBAC was recovery--I had an active toddler at home to care of in addition to the baby, and that would have been very hard while having to recover from a C-section, which of course you know. Mine was a scheduled C-section and went about as well as it could have, no complications, quick and easy recovery-- but the VBAC was still soooo much better. I was back to 100% in a matter of days instead of weeks, I was able to get around easily within hours of giving birth, I didn't have to be super careful with my toddler climbing on me and wanting to be picked up. It was just an overall better experience. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• i would also do VBA2C personally. well it's hard to put myself in your shoes because i have never had a c-section but i think that's what i would do. :) you could probably find some mamas who have been through it in the natural birth/pregnancy group. or on the ican international website. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2010