What do you think about mothers who let their NEWBORNS CIO?

This just breaks my heart to hear that ANYONE would do this to a newborn baby. I just want to find those babies and scoop them up, and take them home with me where they will actually be loved!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Very sad. Babies cry for a reason. They NEED to be held. They NEED human contact as much as they need food. Just look at what happens to babies in a orphanage whose cries are not responded to. they DO NOT need to "exercise their lungs" by crying!! There is a reason why it is hard to hear a baby cry and your gut tells you to pick it up. WHY would you leave a baby to cry, especially a newborn? The only reason I can think of is for the parents convenience. It is not convenient to have your life interrupted by a baby who wants to be held all the time and doesn't let you sleep. IF you don't want to deal with and pick up your baby when they cry, then get a cat.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• that they are properly taking care of their newborn baby !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• As stated earlier, crying it out is fine. It's actually good for the baby's lung development. As a Respiratory Therapist, a child needs to cry and get those little alveoli opened. It also helps the child to learn to be an independent of you.. not a limb. There is NOTHING wrong with lying a child in a crib and letting him cry. I believe that it takes someone strong to be a parent. By not allowing your child to cry it out, you are catering to his every whim. You cannot to that. You have to let the child know that you make the rules. By allowing a child to cry it out, or even disciplining an older child, you are acting responsibly... not neglecting. Crying it out and swaddling stuff is for whimps. People who raise wild animal children.
    Anonymous

• I let my daughter do it at 5 months. She didn't cry long, maybe 5 minutes, but I think it's better for them than to be rocked to sleep till they are 2 or 3.
    Anonymous

• You're an idiot if you think parents who let their kids cry it out don't love their kids.
    Anonymous

• Seriously, you can't assume someone doesn't love their child because they CIO. CIO doesn't hurt them. I think a newborn is too young but, to each their own.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I let my daughter CIO at about 4 months. I was having a really bad day, she was over tired, she wouldn't settle down, and I was getting really upset. I had tried for over an hour to calm her down and it just wasn't working. I set her down in her crib because I couldn't take her screaming any more, and within five minutes of being alone in her room without me holding her, she finally fell asleep. I found out that if I tried to comfort her when she'd been over stimulated, she continued to be over stimulated, even if I was just holding her. From then on, if she's been having a long day, she got to CIO alone for about five minutes, and she was out after that.

Now, I don't know if you consider that a "newborn" but that was the only thing I could do for her. It was actually what she needed, and she never cried for more than five minutes.
    Anonymous

• OP here...I AM TALKING ABOUT NEWBORN BABIES! Not older infants. NEWBORNS..which means under the age of 3 months old.
    Anonymous

• I think it's fine with older babies, but for a new-born, it's too young.
    Anonymous

• I find it sad & I really feel bad for those babies. A newborn needs to be held & feel the warmth of their mothers body. Imagine how scary it is for them, being inside of you for so long then all of a sudden they're no longer snuggled and warm and they know nothing of the world. The second my DD came out, I snuggled her up and that's how she's been since and how she will stay for as long as she needs it! If my child needs me, I will be there. Whether it's for comfort, to fall asleep or anything.
    I also don't believe in CIO and if I did, the newborn stage wouldn't be my time to start.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2010