What makes a witch, a witch?

After reading the question about why one claims being a witch over some other title, I couldn't figure out if I would be considered a witch. I'm Pagan and don't take the label of witch. But what makes one a witch instead of....Pagan, Wiccan, Eclectic or some combination of labels beyond claiming to be one?

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 10:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Religious Beliefs have nothing to do with weather or not one is a Witch. Witchcraft has nothing to do with beliefs - it's all about practice. If you practice magick / witchcraft you can be classified a witch. Really it's that simple. Not every Pagan is a witch, just like not ever Christian isn't.

I posed that initial question, and I meant it only for those who DO use the title witch. Because for me the title is something I use with pride. I think it's important to use it in order to "demystify" the word...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:01 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• Honestly I think if you use the craft, then no matter what title you use you are a witch though it doesn't mean you have to use that name. I am studying to be a Christo-pagan, but calling it Christo-witch will make it easier for my family to except since there are witches in my ancestry.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Oh Honey, we're gonna open the worm can with this one! lol For myself I am a Witch, I use the term basically because it's the one that feels "right" for me. Although if I'm talking to my MIL or even my younger sister, I'll use the general Pagan title. They are both uncomfortable with it I think, although I know my sister thinks I'm nuts.
    I did some research and discovered that being Wiccan wasn't right for me, most of the friends I have that are Wiccan tend to be, I don't know...more dramatic with their rituals. Maybe it's just them, I don't know. Doing a lot of rituals isn't me, I tend to be more spiritual about things rather then getting out all my stuff, calling quarters and casting a circle. I sit outside a lot and just chat with my Goddess as I would an older sister or mentor. It's more comforting to me to have that sort of relationship with her, rather then one of requesting help. If that makes any sense.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I don't know how other people feel about it, but IMO a person of ANY religion (or of no religion) can be a witch. Witchcraft is just that, a craft. It's something that is practiced and learned. It's not specific to any religion. If you practice magick/witchcraft, you're a witch. You don't have to label yourself (I'm all for abolishing labels for good!), but that's the best way I could think to say it. Again, just my opinion.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• the dictionary term for witch is this:
    –noun
    1.
    a person, now esp. a woman, who professes or is supposed to practice magic, esp. black magic or the black art; sorceress.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:07 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• A witch is anyone who practices the craft. Just because one is pagan, does not make them a witch.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:29 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• shan, thanx again for posting an ignorant dictionary term written by bigot CHristians. *shakes head*

op.. I loved ms.Bats answer.. and yes just about ANYONE can be considered a witch.. it's just practicing a craft.. that craft could be a simple prayer from a Christian even. (there is a ritual behind it, which would thus label it as a craft). Which is why I don't know why people are so , "witches are bad".. really, almost everyone is a witch at heart..

the labels after that, Pagan, Wiccan, Christian, Spiritualist, Buddhist, etc, are just a definition of HOW it is practiced.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2010

• If we are going to use the dictionary let's post ALL the definitions. Not just the one that suits our own beliefs.

Main Entry: 1witch
    Pronunciation: \ˈwich\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English wicche, from Old English wicca, masculine, wizard & wicce, feminine, witch; akin to Middle High German wicken to bewitch, Old English wigle divination, and perhaps to Old High German wīh holy — more at victim
    Date: before 12th century
    1 : one that is credited with usually malignant supernatural powers; especially : a woman practicing usually black witchcraft often with the aid of a devil or familiar : sorceress — compare warlock
    2 : an ugly old woman : hag
    3 : a charming or alluring girl or woman
    4 : a practitioner of Wicca
    5 : witch of agnesi
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• See for me this is one of the things that bother me. Back in the 60's the Craft referred to what has now become Wicca. Witchcraft, witch, Wicca and Pagan have all come under major changes in definition in the last 30 plus years. The use of the title witch was one of pride and one that would be comfortable in assuming that one followed a form of witchcraft; that is what is was commonly called before the change to Wicca and then to Pagan, 20 to 30 years ago.

So if Witchcraft, the practice of using magic; has been ripped from it's religious roots and it's practitioners are called witches; then it's a secular activity much like someone who practices transcendental meditation or even yoga? If that's the case why the need for the label witch? Do people who practice TM have a label, and what about yoga?

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2010

• 1. a person, now esp. a woman, who professes or is supposed to practice magic, esp. black magic or the black art; sorceress.

Wow thanks for only posting the sub definition for sorcerer and proving my point to what the bible means when it talks of sorcery.

Definition for witch not sorceress Nice bigotry shown be the Christian.

3. One who practices magic

4. to bring by or as by witchcraft (often fol. by into, to, etc.): She witched him into going.

5. Archaic. to affect as if by witchcraft; bewitch; charm.

I high lighted the key words for your better comprehention.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2010