Wive's of disabled Veterans....

If your husband is receiving a disability check how long did it take to start? My husband just came back from Afghanistan and he is having headaches all the time, his vehicle was hit by an IED and when it rolled he hurt his arm pretty bad and now has permanent hearing loss in his left ear. He isn't able to work and I can't support us alone w/o working three jobs. Which is impossible because he can't be left with the kids all day (don't bash either.) I want to hear from ladies with experience, please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am a disabled Veteran myself, so I can answer you. If you are getting discharged medically you first get a percentage (lump sum) from the Military a couple of weeks after you are discharged , Then you file at the Veterans Administration, this takes as long as it takes to "pay back" in time the amount the military gave you. They don't let you get paid twice at the same time. Say with me, I was given around 7,000 in a lump sum at 10% disabled. The VA gave me a 20% rating and it took around 3 years at 200 or so dollars a month in "time that was paid back" for me to start getting VA checks. So it depends on what was paid out and the percentage really. Your local VA should be able to help you all.
    Anonymous

• I'm the wife of a disabled Marine. He was struck by lightning while in Iraq (I know, that's totally weird, but it's what happened) and he suffered brain damage, PTSD, hearing loss and a whole mess of other issues.

You didn't say he was discharged yet. He has to go through what's called a PEB- a Physical Evaluation Board- to verify that he is no longer able to serve on active (or inactive) duty. The military will decide how disabled he is. If you get at least 40% disability from the military, you will receive TRICARE for life for him, yourself and your dependents. Once he gets his rating from the military, you will receive your first payment (the percentage of E-5) base pay that they decide he is entitled to the month after he gets discharged.

Before he gets out, though, make sure that he gets his VA paperwork filled out and filed. The VA sucks (cont...)
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 10:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• The VA can take pretty much as long as they want to process your claim. I don't know where you live, but we just waited 8 months for my husband to get his rating from the VA going through NC. Here in Montana, they have a much quicker turn around and seem to actually care more about the vets. Within a month of getting a determination from the VA you are suppose to start receiving your paycheck.

There are other resources to go through, too. File for Social Security Disability. It's a pain in the ass and you have to really FIGHT hard to get the money out of them, but it will help you financially in the long run.

And get your husband started NOW in rehabilitation and therapy so he CAN be the one to stay home with the kids. It's REALLY hard for men to get over the fact that they can't do all that they used to, so he needs counseling. It did wonders for my husband.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 10:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My husband is in the National Guard. He will not get discharged yet. Some of the injured soldiers that are receiving disability are still enlisted 5 years after they came home from Iraq. His company is not going to put him out unless they have to, they are AWFUL. We now live in TX and the local VA office is trying to help him but, I was just curious as to how long it would take. Counseling would be good but, we have 2 kids in school and three kids not of school age and no babysitter so, right now he can't go.
    Anonymous

• My husband applied for VA benefits a year ago and he is still waiting for a determination. He has been to the VA twice now for appointments, but still no rating.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 11:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• My husband didn't get a medical discharge but does have 10% rating he received when his regular contract ended & he got out. He was denied knee & back pain, hearing loss and also chest pain from being electrocuted in Haditha. He got out in Jan 2006 and started receiving his payments 3 months later. If it's a greater rating, I think it can take longer. Fight for everything-the rating, therapy, insurance but know with a higher rating, if he improves -he won't be able to work a regular job (I think it may be anything over 80% but I'm not positive) because you've been deemed unable to work. You can also contact the American Legion who will help you go through the system and be a voice on your behalf. Good luck.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 24, 2010