how much table food do you give a baby

I know it is suggested that parents give their child table food. What I eat for dinner she should eat. For example if I was having chicken, mashed potatoes, and broccoli, how much would I give her (10 mo old)? what if I was having pasta and meatballs with italian bread, would you give that to her too? if so, how much? sorry to sound so stupid, but i am used to the gerber foods that are pre measured... also- do you provide juice, water, or formula with dinner?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeed or give a bottle before dinner. Put about a table spoon of everything on her tray in little pea sized pieces and let her decide how much to eat. If she eats it all and wants more, then give her more! As long as it is not a choking hazard or an allergen that you are waiting to introduce, then she can have it. Everything you listed sounds fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Usually I will give some juice with dinner. As for serving size, make sure everything is cut up into small pieces. I usually give my daughter about a half cup of food total. (Example- If it is chicken, peas, and noodles, she would get 1/2 cup total, not 1/2 cup of each) She usually eats just about all of it, if it is something she really likes she may want a little more.

She is 1 year, and very active- for a 10 month old I would say maybe about 1/3 cup to start then more if she is still hungry.

A general jar of stage 2/3 baby food is 1/2 cup, so it is about the same. Table food is a little more filling which is why she may only eat about 1/3 cup..

Good luck!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 10:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. Two great books websites on feeding babies and toddlers, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning http://www.babyledweaning.com/  and Super Baby Food http://www.superbabyfood.com/ You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 AM on Apr. 24, 2010