How to use the library?

I don't know anything about it can you help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Do you mean like a public or school library? They should have a librarian who can help you.
    Anonymous

• It depends on what you're looking for. Most library's have a computer where you do a searh either by topic, author, title etc. If your looking for a certain title of the book the computer will give you a call number for the book. (For example: 928.65 SAM) The book shelves are numbered (example 900.00 - 930.00) it's called the dewy decimal system. Look for the call # of the book and there it is! If it is not there it probably hasn't been reshelved yet or someone put in the wrong place. If this all sounds too confusing ask your librarian (even though they can be crabby at times lol) and they should be able to help you. Good luck and happy library-ing!
    Callie140

Answer by Callie140 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• Use it for you or your kids... It's a great place to take your kids and find something for yourself as well. Ours has a story time and computers for children. I love it for something to do on a rainy day when our boys are bored, or just to keep up with reading through the Summer when they are out of school.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

• What are you wanting from the library? I don't mean specific books, but are you wanting research materials, non fiction, fiction, etc? Basically what I do is go in and browse the shelves. I look for authors who've been recommended or a book jacket or title that jumps out at me. My kids like different things, my 11yo likes Hardy Boys books and other pre-teen/teen novels, my 7yo likes non-fiction mostly, usually about hockey or science, my 3yo likes picture books.

At my library the fiction books are shelved alphabetically by the author's last name and non-fiction uses the Dewey Decimal System. But there are always librarians there who can help you find a book or figure out the computer to look for and request books. Many libraries also offer internet access, magazines, newspapers, or even just a quiet place to sit and read. I love the library, I read a lot and would go broke if I had to buy all the books I read.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2010